Not a Radio Flyer

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Slowmodem, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I got a new wagon today at Tractor Supply Store. It's not your little red wagon (although they did have one like this that was red).

It has a 1000-lb capacity and the sides let down to make a flatbed-type platform. The handle rotates in to hook to the tractor, or out to pull it yourself. I figure that I can pull it out to the hives, and I won't have to bend as much. Plus I can pull equipment to and from the hives.

photobucket-13018-1367350685789.jpg photobucket-2245-1367350170240.jpg

If you're wondering about the white in the feeders, the bees were getting around the screen and into the syrup. I am trying a line of silicone to try to keep them out of the syrup and behind the screen. I have them in the sun, and I'll let them dry overnight before I put one back on the hive to see if it corrected the problem.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

OK Greg, but did you see how it worked going down the hill with you in it yet? :thumbsup: :lol:
    (I know I would have tried, just to see).

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Hate to be a downer..... But it looks like the similar wagon I bought about 6 years ago from Lowes.
    The plastic coat fails if left out in the sun, and the steel below is poor quality and mine rusted out in under 5 years . All my garden wagons have always stayed outside .

tows nicely behind the tractor though.

I have started building a wooden top with sides that can be tipped , for the wheels and axle system, which have held up despite my abuse.

So treat it better than I did mine :smile:

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

It's never too late to have a happy childhood; I am buying myself toys now that we couldn't afford during my first childhood!

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"OK Greg, but did you see how it worked going down the hill with you in it yet? :thumbsup: :lol:"
    :lol:

greg, we have one, looks pretty similar. i cut a piece of leftover plywood sheathing to fit in the bed of it, was afraid i'd bend or blow out the bottom. they are good wagons to move hive equipment around in, and for the garden, and hauling split wood to the fire pit. in general, i use the 4wheel horse and trailer for moving hive equipment, but can't get the trailer right next to hives...(bear fence, and too narrow), when taking supers off, i use the wagon and pile them on, then move the wagon to the trailer, or mr rivers truck bed, works slick! nice investment for you!

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

No, I haven't ridden it down the hill. LOL I'm getting too old and stiff :eek:ldtimer: for that (besides there's no brakes! :shock: )

We have one of those pull-behind dump carts for the riding mower that dad keeps shovels, buckets, etc, in. Now he's got two toys. He really likes to play in the yard (and I'm glad he still can).

I believe this cart will be a good investment, too.

7. kebee

kebee Active Member

Dang I forgot about riding one down hill like I use to when I was a kid, so tommorrow is the day I will give mine a try. Got mine on sale from harbor freight for 60 bucks, mine do not have sides thought.

kebee

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Dang I forgot about riding one down hill like I use to when I was a kid, so tommorrow is the day I will give mine a try."

kebee, riding it down a hill?.......make sure your wife can sign in here and post your adventure, and how you are doing in the hospital.........:lol:
    we'll send flowers and chocolates and a get well soon card....:lol:

9. kebee

kebee Active Member

No need for that riverbee, may have been 65 years ago that I flew down hills in a wagon but I had not forgot how to do it. Had a good time doing what I had as a kid. Just sorry no one was around to get a picture of the 3 or 4 rides I did. Had no good hills at my place so had to transport to a place that did.

kebee

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

I spent the night in the ED after my son rode a wagon down the drive and fell out at age 4 .

..... but I did ride a shopping cart down stairs at Uni...... Some malt was involved :razz: