Not all cutouts go well it would seem.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Gypsi, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My bee meeting is tomorrow night. Then I might know who was trying a cutout only to end up hospitalized. With our hot dry weather, and no flow, the bees are not in a sweet mood, even my most docile are on-guard against everything from shb to yellow jackets to all other honey thieves.

Wfaa news showed a 15 to 30 second piece - I saw 2 medium boxes so it wasn't an exterminator. Nothing on their website.

I STILL have a cutout to do, an attempted trapout that didn't work, has been postponed since early spring. My idea of fun is not being 10 feet up on a scaffold with a hot hive. I believe I have some beevac modifications to do.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Are some of these trap outs and cut outs worth it? the amount of time and effort with no guarantee it will ever turn in to a productive hive! Spend the time cultivating increases from your own stock. If it's a simple cut out rob the honey and shooke swarm the bees. But have fun with it Gypsi
    Ps. when you find out who it is send him get well wishes from his fellow beekeepers here on the forum.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

it is a gamble Apis but for me its been well worth the work, I have 29 hives and all but 2 are removals or trap-outs, 1 of my best was a call and I went and picked up a street cone with bees in it, when I got around to opening it up and moving it to a nuc it was about 1 frame of bees, now its 2-4 deep hives and a double stack nuc (10 frames) and I have pulled 60lbs of honey from 1, and I have other hives that have almost done as well.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I didn't find out who it was, may not be a member. Will see what is on the news tonight.

I have 1 cutout, and 1 caught swarm that are really big hives now. The swarm is my hot hive that has given me such re-queening adventures, but the experience is beneficial and they probably have a virgin queen now. I bought 2 nucs, 1 queen (intended for the hot hive but couldn't find theirs and started a new hive with her), and 1 italian queen who got kicked out of the hot hive after she was accepted and laying. Presumably by a virgin queen.

The cutout I need to do is about 8 feet up, we'll remove the damaged siding which extends up the 2nd story of the house, but our local bees temperament is a bit toasty this week, even on my mellow hives, due to the weather, robbing attempts by yellow jackets, bumbles and ants, etc.. Plus Hot dry and flow hasn't started.

I'm sporting a swollen wrist from Sunday, my helper in the oak tree removal got stung on the ear without getting near a hive, but prompt treatment may have worked on him. Hope so. So I am just not "in the mood" to risk falling oh, 16 feet or so because I overbalance ducking a bunch of angry bees. Not if I can wait a couple of weeks and catch them in a better mood. I think a rainy day would be an improvement.