Not as smart as you think I am!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Feb 20, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I started a thread a bit ago about your best bee deal. Alright then, how about the other side of the coin?

I'll start. Saw a deal on kijiji (Canadian craiglist) on 2 boxes of beekeeping frames 9 1/8 made by FW Jones. $25 for all! Well up here those boxes are worth $115 each plus shipping and taxes.
    What a deal! $25 and $45 in shipping and they arrived. Opened them up and here is what I found:
    229 top bars = Good, 29 extras
    200 bottom bars = Good
    440 end bars = WAIT A MINUTE !!! What the h*ll is this! :eek: The end bars are something called "Alberta staples" (one on the left). These won't work, no self spacing! :frustrated:

What to do? Got a piece of 1x6 pine and made 880 pieces 3/8 wide, 3/16 thick and 3 1/4 inches long. Brushed glue on the sides and a couple of 5/8 brads on each side and there you have it.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The deal is not what I thought it would be :oops: While it's not costing me a lot extra in $$$, the time spent is another thing.

Moral of this story, ask for pictures, they're worth a thousand words, in this case @#&%^$*!!

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Re: Not as smart as you you think I am!

nothing better than a good deal

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Yeah, I've had quite a few "good deals" like that. This is why the "handy" person never calculates the worth of his or her time. You got 'em, they'll work now, end of story. Plus you're smarter... :D

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If it sounds to good to be true,it usually is.Anyway that's what i've heard those old guys like tec,Iddee, and Murrell on here say, so i don't buy sight unseen. :mrgreen: Jack

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

snip:
    no self spacing!

perhaps a self spacing bar would have reduced your toil?

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi tecumseh:

Actually I thought about a frame spacing tool but they are usually 9 frame. Same thing with the 9 space frame rests. I only use my deeps for brood chambers. I would kind of hate to have to drag around a frame spacing tool just in case I hit one of the boxes with those frames, and then if I wanted to swap a frame here or there, you see where that's headed.
    No, I sucked it up and have started cranking out the end bar modifications a few dozen at a time. It really doesn't take too long, as long as I don't think about having to do it 880 times!
    :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

A little humility never hurt anyways, keeps me on my toes!

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

More power to you, but when Kelley has end bars for 20.00 per hundred, I would never do that much work for so little savings.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh but the winters are long in Nova Scotia?

9. rast

rast New Member

And the freight?????

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If the freight is a hundred dollars, he's still cutting the pieces and gluing them on for less than .25 each.

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

You are forgetting the point that he already HAD them! I applaud spending some time and effort to make something usable rather than throwing it away. I love "thrifty."

12. Murrell

Murrell New Member

For every Brilliant purchase I make, I know that their are at least two that somebody got to me.
    So I have to make a woopin good deal to stay ahead.

Murrell

13. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Yeah, me too. Thanks for sharing that "mistake" with us. I'll keep that in mind--labor and time is definitely worth money too.

That's what I like about this place, we can share our mistakes so others can learn.

14. DCoates

DCoates New Member

Ditto that, I didn't even know there was such a thing as Alberta staples. I got a great deal on the '79 Dadant extractor I'm currently refurbishing. It was damaged in freight on the way down. I was told it needed a thorough cleaning. It did in a big way (mice had been living in there for quite a while), but in doing this I found many things that needed to be repaired or replaced. If I'm going to make repairs I'm going to do it right and make sure I don't have to do them ever again. Fortunately it's winter so I'm looking for projects to work on waiting for Spring. Not feeling quite a smug as I did at the start of this project... but learning all types of things.