Not looking that great

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Dakine, May 12, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Well I went into the box I have with all deep frames that I put the swarm in I got on the 30th of April. There's 4 full frames not capped with bees covering them. NO sign of queen or egg laying. Just a lot of honey comb. No sign of mites or beatles either. I did fill the beetle trap with vegitable oil. Don't know if I'll need it or not yet.
    I'd left a top bar without frames that has a unreal heart shaped large comb. Looks like I may be able to get by without foundation.
    It was a bit weak tho.
    So I guess I'll just have to standby and hope the ladies make queen soon.
    How long does it take? They only had wax deep foundation to start with.[except one blank].
    They are amazing little guys!

2. jb63

jb63 New Member

If you can buy a queen that would be your best bet.She's already bread and laying so you aren't waiting while your workers are expiring.

3. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Yeah I wish I could buy a queen but since we don't have mites here yet we can't buy them or bee parcells.
    So far I haven't been able to contact another keeper to get one either.

waiting while your workers are expiring.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I guess I should start feeding them sugar water again?
    I guess I was counting my chickens before they hatched!!!

I actually did just get some one day old layer chicks in the mail the day before yesterday so I'm up 1/2 the night with them! Never heard of a
    beesitter tho. I am a official chickensitter tho!!!LOL.
    I have to keep their temperature right at 95 degrees! Dain't that easy to do.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If they don't have eggs or larva, they CANNOT make a queen. If you can remove a section of comb with eggs from the barn hive and install it in the swarm, then they can make a queen.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Like Iddee says- just put a frame with some eggs in the hive (if you have access to it). If the bees have a queen they'll simply raise the brood on that frame, no harm done. If they don't have a queen they will immediately try to produce some queen cells from the eggs on that frame- you'll see queen cells on it within 4 or 5 days. Then you can let them raise their new queen.

6. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Dumb as I didn't realize that. I guess I'll have to rip the wall off the barn hive and get some brood. How do I know I'm getting brood from it.? I 've never seen what it looks like.

ALSO!
    Can I steal some bees from a wild hive to reinforce the population in the new one? I have a wild hive a few miles away. Can't do a trap out or cut out on it tho.
    OOPS! I can do a short time while I wait trap out.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Perry, or somebody, put a link to the pics of eggs here.

Dakine, eggs is what you want. Brood is just extra.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

9. Dakine

Dakine New Member

OK THanks!
    When I get the egg comb I will rubber band it in frames. How many should I do? Do I put it between honey frames in the new hive? There's 4 frames right next to each other in the new hive.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Any amount will do, as long as they have eggs. The more the merrier. Yes, put them where there are most bees.

11. Dakine

Dakine New Member

I still haven't been able to find any eggs. LOTS of brood tho.
    Can I leave the brood outside the hive overnight in a bucket until I have time to put the comb in frames.
    Temperature gets down to about 70F here.

How long will brood in comb live?

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""Can I leave the brood outside the hive overnight in a bucket until I have time to put the comb in frames.""

NO!!

13. Omie

Omie New Member

Remind me to never hire you as a babysitter. :shock: :lol:

14. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Brood uniformly require 89 to 95 degrees heat

15. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Yeah I checked it out and they have to be in the hive.
    I put them in frames with rubberbands and stuck them in the hive. They were only out for an hour or so. I only took a liitle so far. I still have a LOT of brood comb in the wall hive. I shut it back up and I'll let it recoop for a couple months and hit it again.

Wall hive.jpg