Not one, not two, not three, but four cut-outs!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by pturley, Jun 21, 2012.

1. pturley

pturley New Member

I was put in contact with a real estate management company that has a bit of a bee problem in an apartment complex. This is a complex of several identical buildings nestled in a wooded area near me. Earlier tonight, we went through and looked at four honeybee colonies located in four different buildings (three of the four in East walls). In each one, the bees are entering directly beneath a third floor balcony, between the joist extension supporting the balcony and the cedar plywood siding.

I was only able to completely define the location and extent of one of the colonies (strongest of the four!). This colony fills a wall pocket to the outside, but based on temperature readings, may also extend along the ceiling joists.

I need to go back over with a stethoscope and my fiber optic camera to define the extent of the other three. Once complete, I'll most likely be scheduling a day off of work to earn some vacation/hobby money!

Now here is the problem... The on-site property maintenance manager who showed me each location told me that he had treated two of these a couple of weeks ago with Apicide. One appeared unphased and despite the poison application on the outside of the building showed a good bit of activity at the entrance. The other is weak and may not last.

My quote to the building owners will be very specific, two untreated colonies will be quoted with the value of the bees considered. I'll quote plans to pull these two ASAP.

The two treated colonies will be left in place for at least two or three weeks more then removed at a significantly higher price each than the first two. (might be twice what I am planning to quote for the first colony)

If I hive the stronger of the treated bees (not sure if it's even worth it), I'll be placing them in a different bee-yard. This is just in case they were contaminated and dwindle only to get robbed out by another colony later. I can't have the bees spreading this poison around my hives.

If the weaker hive goes down in that time, then it is no longer my problem...

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

First, good score! (4) :thumbsup:

Second, your approach to this is absolutely bang on. Let them know that the decision to spray has consequences ($$$) if they then want you to remove them! Sadly, they may end up just "finishing off" the other two but then they are still left with the mess.

Sound judgement! :thumbsup:

3. pturley

pturley New Member

I am in the process of typing up my bid for the work. One of the first statements that came to mind is as follows:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Maybe add "or value" after no interest?
    "attempt to kill them are of no interest or value to me"
    It might give them the idea that poisoning may cross off most if not all keeps.

5. pturley

pturley New Member

I didn't want to assign a specific monitary "value" to the bees per se but I didn't take it easy on them for the quotes on the two poisoned colonies. If they accept, it'll be singificant, well worth my time and the stings.

The fax cover letter includes this:

I also included recommendations to bleach then paint the hive cavity prior to repair to knock out as much of the hive pheromones as possible.

I figured too much information would be a more valuable thing than too little later down the road.

My quotes go out this afternoon***.

****= With a large woodenware order pending acceptance.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Stick to your guns, in my mind you are on the right track.
    :thumbsup:

7. pturley

pturley New Member

Got it... ...I have a signed contract/bid for all four removals!!!

Oh my!

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup: :yahoo::Dancing: :drinks: :mrgreen:

Now comes the hard part! Off to the bee store to buy supplies! :lol:
    Congratulations, let us know how you make out on these.

9. pturley

pturley New Member

I need to stop at an office supply store to pick up some rubber bands, but everything is built, the trailer is fully loaded and it is time to go save some bees. My four cut outs start this morning. I'll have pics later this weekend...

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup: Go get 'em! :thumbsup:

11. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

you could have picked a cooler day. Stay hydrated and take lots of breaks in the shade. Can't wait for pics.

12. pturley

pturley New Member