Not sure what was going on today.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gypsi, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I saw bees, dead or chilled and one buzzy one on the front porch of my doubledeep hive. They were furry like nurse bees. the sun was on the face of the hive, and my silly goat had been wandering around near the front of the hive and might have bumped it.

So, I removed the entrance reducer and put the chilled bees back in the hive gently, then put the reducer back on.

Temperature didn't clear freezing here today, but this is my south-facing and southernmost hive. That or the goat bugged them. If they were all dead I lost maybe 20 bees.

Any guesses?

(I had to move the goat for bad weather and she is hopping right over her new gate - will be keeping her away from the hives ASAP. but my helper was celebrating christmas and couldn't get out monday.)

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Housekeeping chores while they had a sunny opportunity.....removing the dead or almost dead bees....perhaps the one lively bee was the mortician.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I made more work for her thinking I was saving them from my silly goat disturbance...

Oh well. At least it was normal and only about 20 maybe 30 bees. Thank you Eddy.

4. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

The housecleaners are gonna be pissed!