Not taking the syrup!!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

:wave: Two days ago I put field feeders out for my girls: 2:1 ratio. They haven't touched it! This would seem to indicate they're getting nectar from somewhere, but where? I've watched them leave the entrance. . .they beeline out over my garden (and the feeders) and then turn completely around and head for the woods behind the house. Any idea what could be out there that they're ignoring the sugar syrup?

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Not sure about your area, but my woods are full of jewelweed (touch-me-nots). It is also the season for asters of all types, and if you have any autumn clematis out there, they love it!

That being said, my jewelweed is NE of the hives, and the bees are all taking off and going SW, to gather I don't know what!

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

after the rains here (about a week ago) the privet started to pop. I have also noted (in several places across the southern us of a) that in the fall of year certain oaks (I am not certain of species) are worked pretty heavily (enough that the hum from ground level is quite audible).

4. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks for the info. . .just want to make sure they'll have enough stores for the winter!