not too threatening for the bees but

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Zookeep, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

now here is something for the beek to watch out for, wont kill you but sure will put you out of business for a while

Attached Files:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

3. Omie

Omie Active Member

One thing we don't have to worry about here in NY.... lol!

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

To quote Cheeck & Chong "good thing we don't step in it" or in your case put your hand on it. South of us they have to be on the watch for rattle snakes coiled up socking up the sun. A fellow beekeeper painted some hives silver and the rattle snakes liked the extra heat from the reflected rays. She doesn't use the silver boxes in that yard any more

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:shock::shock::shock:
    I've had garden snakes hiding under some of my hives but they can't hurt you. That would!

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Right by the hand hold too!

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe it was there to keep away the robbers. :???:

8. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Not very "cuddly" is he? :grin:

A while back my wife and some friends were talking about tomato pests, and one of the said, "Well, it beats scorpions." Seems where she lived in Louisiana scorpions in the tomato plants was "normal". :eek:

Walt

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Yep, we got them too,when laying on the couch next to the wood stove in the log cabin in the fall of the year. The heat would bring the scorpions out of hiding and they would play on the ceiling above the couch.:eek: Nobody i ever knew got stung by one, but grandad would say if you ever got stung by one you would know you got stung:shock:.Missouri has many things to look out for, Ticks, chiggers,wasp, hornets,scorpions,black widow, and brown recluse spiders,rattle snakes,cottonmouths, copperheads, bears, mountainlions, and worst of all, crazy people.:???: Jack

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Boy, Jack, they should put your information on a travel brochure to invite visitors to Missouri. You've got me running---in the opposite direction. :rolling:

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

we got lots of those here. oddly enough when one of those girls sting me I hardly notice until hours and hours later and then develop the most persistent itch.

12. pturley

pturley New Member

Ef,
    You have one of the most dangerous scorpions in the world right in your back yard!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathstalker

Right along with a few significantly venomous snakes (Saw-scaled viper, False-horned viper, Desert Cobra).

I think I'd rather play with the wildlife in Missouri than in Israel.

Tec,
    Are you referring to the large ones (Desert Hairy) or the little ones?

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Those snakes and scorpions are nothing compared to some of the larger varieties of bad-:) doers in our vicinity but I don't, advertise them. (I'm away from home now, pecking on a tablet--no easy project)

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

jack says:
    "Yep, we got them too,when laying on the couch next to the wood stove in the log cabin in the fall of the year. The heat would bring the scorpions out of hiding and they would play on the ceiling above the couch.:eek: Nobody i ever knew got stung by one, but grandad would say if you ever got stung by one you would know you got stung:shock:.Missouri has many things to look out for, Ticks, chiggers,wasp, hornets,scorpions,black widow, and brown recluse spiders,rattle snakes,cottonmouths, copperheads, bears, mountainlions, and worst of all, crazy people.:???:

ef's reply:
    "Boy, Jack, they should put your information on a travel brochure to invite visitors to Missouri. You've got me running---in the opposite direction. :rolling:"

funny! jack, those crazy people, anyone you know?! :lol: