Note to Self...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by DonMcJr, Sep 2, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Do not leave your Frame Capping Wax exposed in your open Garage on a hot sunny day...

Holy Lotta Bees all in and around my Garage! :shock::shock::shock::shock:

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I woulda used those capping for making mead. Wash them off into a minimum amount of water and your up and on your way.

3. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Wash the wax and use the water for mead? Or the Wax?

I had to move it to the Picnic Table out by the Campfire cause the bees wouldn't get out of it...

I thought they'd all go back to the hive but I shined a flashlight as dad opend the lid last night and I never saw my Dad close a lid fasterin my live lol! BUZZ!

I may have to go out with my bee suit to recover my wax cappings! I sure hope they all weren't Yellow Jackets though!

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

You caught my poor syntax.
    But just for the record: I never take bottled/bottling honey for making mead. At most, I'll use some of the strained honey from the cappings. But my standard practice is to take the cappings after they've been drained, place them in a large container for washing them and shake well. I tie a few layers of cheesecloth over the mouth oof the container and pour off the honey washings for use in making the mead. The washed cappings get poured (after removing the cheesecloth) into my solar wax extractor.

​Of course that limits the amount of mead I can make and the seasons when I can make it, but I'm still no where near running out of reserves.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! Left my extractor outside too long one time. Same results.