Now my newbeekness is showing. Got my nucs. Still have my cutout hive.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gypsi, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Life is getting exciting - today my 2 VSH nucs came. I did open them, inspect them somewhat, and move them into 10 frame deeps on the same hive stand my cutout hive has been using (faced one new hive east, the other south, so everyone has an open flyway NOT facing my pond.) I
    need to get things from it now and then, and not be run over by bees.

My cutout hive seems to have about 7 frames of bees and comb, medium frames. They are coming back from my failed checkerboard attempt, I did not open the broodnest today, just swiped their frame feeder, did a quick between frames peek looking for bee-eyes, and put on a ziploc of sugar water. Their entrance reducer is pushed at a bit of an angle, they have traffic jams, with the narrow one bee height 3 inches wide open, and they have about an inch at one end. There were bees in the way, I couldn't close it any farther.

Then I parked a 10 frame deep with a good solid 4 frames of bees & brood in the center of it, next to the cutout hive, and another behind it, oriented 90 degrees off (facing south). Didn't see a queen in either nuc, but the whole beeclub uses the man I purchased them from, and I didn't roll the queen (I'm pretty sure - yes I checked the bottom of the boxes.)

I set the empty nucs on end in front of their hives so the bees could crawl across - had to elevate them, a ground crossing would get bees in the antsoup under the platform. And tonight I piled the boxes and lids up on the platform, there are still a few bees on the equipment.

I half-filled the frame feeder in each deep - and I use a piece of split 1x2 for a float, just the right buoyancy, I haven't had any drowned bees. I reduced entrances with split 1x2 to about an inch each.

Have I set myself up for any robbing? I don't know. The cutout hive is going to my neighbor's in about a week I think, but that is close enough if they are robbers they will be in range. I could transport it 40 miles, but then there's the bee-tree bunch. I just need my bees to be strong enough to defend themselves, hence the nucs, not packages.

What did I miss? Let me know, please.

Gypsi

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Didn't see a queen

tecumseh:
    you only need to look for eggs and young larvae to know a queen is doing her job.... and preferable doing this in an adequate manner.

another snip..
    Have I set myself up for any robbing?

and another..
    What did I miss?

tecumseh:
    robber screens???

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

May I ask what a robbing screen is and what is it made of.

kebee

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a screen or ladder that protects the front entry from robbers. can also make a hive less defensive. essentially a few bit of wood and a small piece of hardware wire <very very simple in what is required to make and use one. there should be several pictures on past threads. I typically make mine from three small thin strips of wood and a 4" tall bit of hardware wire... closed off on three sides and open on the top.

the idea is the bees from inside the hive learn to go up and over and the bees that may be possible robbers don't learn how to navigate this hurdle from the other direction.

5. Gypsi

I had a pond apart, a helper fixing it, and 2 nucs to install. I saw capped brood, and the gel that could have been eggs or uncapped honey. Can't say which but time will tell and if I've "bought a pig in a poke" I'll find out soon enough.

I fought off robbers from my first feeding of HBH last August until I finally lost the battle in the first week of October - a swarm of testy bees I'd lost came back to rob the replacement hive out.

I only have one robber screen at the moment, and based on last year's experience, and my little nuc swarm this year, I didn't rush to make more. A robber screen works best on a strong hive. The number one best defense against robbers is: Keep your hive strong. And if it isn't strong, throw a sheet over it and transport 25 miles to an area without competing hives. I didn't do that last one in time last year

So I just fed them all. the nucs newly in deeps got frame feeders with floats, and the cutout hive got a fresh baggy of syrup - ziploc on top of frames.

Gypsi

6. Gypsi

I didn't get my "perfect" bee stand built, this is last year's model ant-guard. Note the kitty litter boxes under the cinderblocks. They hold water rather well. The screening keeps the bees out.

The green empty nuc boxes are stacked on the pallet deck. Nucs are in deeps. My cutout hive is the tall one with medium below a deep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]