Now What?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I know some of you have been reading about my queenless hive saga. Will the queen cells were opened last weekend. about 7 days ago. Went down to do inspections today. This have has had very little activity around
    it for the last few weeks.

Looked at the haives and there was a lot of activity on the front landing pad of this hive. I first thought, alright,
    maybe there is a mating activity going on. After suitong u and feting closer. there were a lot of dead and dying bees on the ground in front of the hive, maybe 50 to 100 bees dead or dying.

Was this just a robbing incident, or is it related to mating. Never seen either one happen.

They do have a medium super setting on top of their deep with capped honey in it. And I am feeding with a jar but inside the hive through the top cover.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds like it could be robbing, maybe reduce your entrance.

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I actually did that. Ha, maybe I got something right:razz:

Thanks Perry.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If the new queen is not mated and laying, scrap the hive and selvage what you can. give the bees to another colony take the honey unless it stored sugar syrup then give it to other colonies take frames of good honey and replace with frames the could have syrup stored in them. At this point in time you may be past the time when it is feasible to get the colony thru the winter. The bees in the hive are old will be dieing off rapidly. you will need to get 10 frames of brood hatched before the cold or lack of flows causes the bees to curtail brood rearing. I'm do realize that I'm a little far removed from your area so someone closer in your area can give you what are the chances of getting the hive thru the winter successfully will be.

5. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks,

Thats the plan next weekend unless we open the hive and see a massive amounts of eggs. Queens here will lay into first part of December if fed. I've been told anyway. Then it starts warming up in Feb.

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

oops clickes reply to post and it but me back here instead of where i wanted to be sorry

7. Omie

Omie New Member

If the new queen only emerged a week ago as you said, I very much doubt there'd be enough time for her to produce massive amounts of eggs by next weekend. Maybe give her a little more time?