NPR-Morning Edition segment pertaining to "Funny Honey"

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by twinclw, Dec 13, 2011.

1. twinclw

twinclw New Member

I'm new to the forum so I'm sorry but I posted this already in the "Introduction" index instead of this "General Beekeeping Index." Sill learning to navigate.

I thought some forum members would find interest in an "NPR - Morning Edition" story concerning dubious importing practices of foreign honey producing countries - especially China. You can listen or read the story by clicking on the link:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2011/1 ... -suspicion
    Or, I suppose I could cut and paste the entire seven minute story if requested. I don't suppose I would be violating copyright laws.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Thanks for the post. Usually NPR fades out in the morning when I'm 6 or 7 miles from home. I am then left to listen to Mike & Mike argue for the next 35 miles on the way to work. It's nice to hear what was on this morning. :)

Walt

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I listened to the program here at my house. Quite nicely done... a pretty accurate history of Chinese honey imports into this country... the accusations of dumping and the import restrictions that followed and the current situation of the Chinese gaming the system to avoid import duties. Dutch Gold (I think that is the right bottler???) and a group of other folks in the distribution stream are working on a system of validating the source of honey to try and limit anyone capacity to game the system.

if I had any honey to sell the kind of advertisement that no amount of money would buy.

I do wonder, given the number of similar messages streaming from the various media sources, if there is any honey being purchased from grocery stores these days.