Nuc growth

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Iddee, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I drove by my beeyard today and noticed some bearding on a nuc I set up June 19 with a queen cell from "Wayne's bees". A week or two ago I moved a strong hive and placed the nuc in it's place. When I stopped today, they were covering the front of the nuc, with a quart or more bees under the bottom board. I transferred them into a 10 frame deep. There were 3 frames of brood and part of a 4th. Three hours later, they were bearding on the 10 frame. Hopefully they will draw the five frames of foundation in the 10 frame deep quickly so I can add a super for winter.

2. rast

rast New Member

Good sign of growth. Are you feeding them? For the next couple of months I'll need to feed, my dearth has started. I've got 10 nucs here in the back field. 5-6 frames in 8 frame boxes with division boards. Most of them decided to set on the front porch when the humidity rose this afternoon also.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I haven't fed yet. I may not be able to say that tomorrow. Things are dry here and they were in the hummingbird feeders for the first time today.

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Things are drying up here fast too. Had a weak nuc out back Kare and I had looked at a week ago. I told her that for some reason the girls were not doing any thing with it and the numbers were droping way off.
    Sunday morning as I walked by with the dogs it was being robbed out.

:mrgreen: Al

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That don't sound good. Can you combine them back into another colony to save it from beetles and/or SHB?

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

iddee when you going to graft some queens off waynes bees. I know your not into grafting but was wondering if there was some in your neck of the woods that is. I would like to add some of these genetics to my stock

7. larry tate

larry tate New Member

We hope to with idees permission. Hope to start sometime in August for a trial run if conditions are favorable.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I gave Larry a nuc for just that purpose. Hopefully, he will have some queens in time for fall replacement.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

have you ever considered a non grafting technique for queen cell production. most all don't work so well if you wished to produce large numbers but work reasonable ok for small numbers of cells.

Jay Smith (one of my childhood heros) wrote some really excellent stuff on how to accomplish graftless queen rearing.