Nuc prob. continues!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rgy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. rgy

rgy New Member

Short version. requeened a bad nuc 2 weeks ago, made sure queen was out and laying, moved hive to other bee yard where another bad nuc was located, combined (newpaper) two nucs. go check on them and they are combined BUT can't find a queen or any eggs. It is now mid Aug. in southwest michigan and I think a new queen is just throwing money away, what do you think? One good hive is at that yard so should I do a shake out and hope they combine with the good hive?

If the nuc's had foul brood will they transfer that to my good hive if i shake out? I don't want anything to mess up my good hive. I won't buy anything else from the nuc supplier that's for sure.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Can you get a local beek to help you check for disease? There is a slight, tho unlikely, chance of them carrying afb to another hive. Of course, it could be done by drifting just as easily, so I wouldn't worry about it unless I had seen signs of it in the nucs.

3. rgy

rgy New Member

I'll make a call to one I know and see if he can come look at it. What ever I decide, either shake or a can of raid, i am throwing all that woodenware and nuc frames away.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Why do you suspect foul brood. Are you seeing signs of it. Generally foul brood is rare. usually if foul brood is spread its the keep that spreads it with gloves hive tool ect. Unless it was introduced with used woodenware. Was the queen laying a good pattern before you took the nuc to the out yard. There may be a chance they superceded her for some reason. Did you find and kill the queen in the nuc you combined. If not there may be a chance both queens were killed or injured in the ensueing fight.

5. rgy

rgy New Member

it was used wooden ware, hadn't been used in over 20 yrs. the one nuc had a sour smell for a while but then that went away. could not find the queen in either nuc before the reqeening of one nuc two weeks ago. Laying pattern has been absolutely awful since I bought the two nucs but the new queen seemed to be doing ok (checked 3 days after release and there was 2"X2" pattern that I saw so I thought she was good to go). We could not find any eggs in the nuc we combined and didn't see a queen so we thought we were good. It seems like they just want to die!

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Dont give in yet on it. a 2"x2" pattern with a good queen even after 3 days is not good unless there wasnt many bees. I good queen if she has the bees to tend the eggs can lay 1000 a day. Was there any signs of dead brood black sunken capped brood. My guess is you had a queen in the other nuc and there was a fight. At this point i would suggest pulling a frame of eggs from your good hive add it to the nuc to see if they make queen cells. That will answer the question if they have a queen or not. If they make queen cells then buy a new queen and requeen its getting pretty late to let them rear there own queen

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my guess would be the same as riverrats with a question. quite likely you had a queens of some version in one of the combined hives. a queen excluder set between the boxes (and here to hold down the newspaper in a stiff wind) would have eliminated that possibility.

are you into any kind of flow (or not)?