Nuc second story boxes

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by PerryBee, Aug 16, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have a bunch of nucs that are housing extra queens that we (Adam Foster Collins and I) raised, and they were starting to get crowded and I don't really have a use for them (yet). I decided I would build some second story 5 frame boxes based on the D.Coates design. The sides are only 9 3/4" tall versus the original 10 1/8" but other than that, you can make 8 of them out of a single sheet of plywood (no need for tops or bottoms).

Nuc second story 001.jpg Nuc second story 002.jpg Nuc second story 003.jpg Nuc second story 006.jpg Nuc second story 005.jpg Nuc second story 004.jpg

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have been doing this for several years, and it works great to extend time for putting them in 10 frame hives, if you are to busy to fool with them.:thumbsup: I have been wanting to see if they would make it through our winters here with this set up? I made some top feeders for my nucs that will hold over a gallon of syrup, and they work good, so i may try it this winter.:???: Jack

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for posting Perry. When we were chatting this morning, it is what I have envisioned. Jack, I am going to try to winter my latest open air colony over using a second nuc. I was thinking I need to make my entrance bigger to accept the jar feeder base.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I think i remember riverrat,taking nuc's through the winter? The Kansas weather isn't to different from mine,maybe he can give us some pointers if he reads this. Jack

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

By the way, nice crocks Perry :grin:.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

LOLOL, I just got those, after 12 years I wore my first pair out. I love 'em, except when the bees find the holes. :shock:

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

8. camero7

camero7 Member

I take nucs through the winter here in MA mostly in 2 story 5 framers - some are 3 story and some singles, depending on the cluster size.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What's your success rate?

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I was wondering about the wind if i stacked over 2 high? I guess they could be braced some way? Jack

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Camero, if you can do it up there in Ma, I can surely do it down here. Good to hear. Brooks, I was a little concerned about my two-story. I could drive some metal fence posts I suppose.

12. camero7

camero7 Member

Varies. 2 previous winters I treated and had 100% survival. Last winter I didn't treat them and had 50% survival. I now recommend treating and not relying on the brood break.

Never been a problem for me. I don't brace them but I do provide a 3 sided tent with the south/east side open. It breaks the wind pretty well and keeps the nucs dry.

13. The Bee Guy

The Bee Guy New Member

I use a 6 frame NUC that I over winter bees in.
    When I add a super I put a 3x6 inch piece of 3/8 inch plywood on the boxes where they join and screw them into the box.
    That way they won't come apart. 6frame4.jpg