Nuc to Warre transfer?

Discussion in 'Organic Beekeeping' started by klpauba, May 30, 2012.

1. klpauba

klpauba New Member

I'm a newbee with a Warre hive but no bees. I've been told that the "swarm season" is over in my area and I shouldn't expect find a swarm or get bees from other sources that capture swarms.

So now I'm seriously considering buying a nuc and transferring the comb/bees to my Warre hive. Here's my plan:

1. Buy the nuc and transfer it to my apiary
    2. Take off the roof, quilt, feeder and boxes off the Warre hive; leaving just the base.
    3. Place the nuc on the Warre hive and open the entrance
    4. Wait a day or two for the bees to orient
    5. Take the nuc off of the Warre base re-assemble the Warre hive, then, working from the outside in:
      1. Take a frame from the nuc and shake the bees into the top box of the two-box hive (middle 4/5 bars removed)
      2. Place the frame in a jig to cut the comb to Warre size and trim the top frame bar to Warre length
      3. Place the top bar and comb into the Warre hive being careful to maintain the order
    6. Place the top feeder, quilt and roof back on the Warre hive
    7. Fill the feeder with 1:1 sugar syrup
    8. Have a beer and nurse the stings:eek:

What do you think of the plan?

I worry about the queen ... should I get a cage and place her in the Warre box before I shake the bees?

Would you suggest an alternative method?

Thanks

2. pturley

pturley New Member

I would just do it like a TBH used for a cut-out.

This is one option:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIj78zig9gM

Another option would be to use plastic, spring loaded hair clips tied to the top bars to hold the comb (also mentioned in this video). You can get the clips in quantity at the local dollar store.
    After a while, the bees embed the clips in comb. When you cycle out this box, per Beekeeping for All, using a nadiring to make additions, then you can remove the clips.

3. klpauba

klpauba New Member

Paul, thanks so much for your reply!

Your suggestion for the spring clips and link to the video is interesting and seem that it would work well. I'm getting a bit timid with the idea of manipulating the hive having never interacted with a colony before. Also, it pains me to think that I would be destroying some of the brood by cutting into the comb.

The attached image below is another solution I found. The roof and quilt are above the Warre top feeder in the image. Below the feeder is one of two identical adapter boards. There's an center opening that matches the inside dimensions of the Warre box and the rest covers the top of the nuc. Beneath the nuc is another adapter board (turned upside down from the other) that mates the nuc with the Warre box below .

NucWarreAdapter.jpg

Hopefully, the bees will move into the Warre box over the summer and leave the stores in the nuc (which I can harvest and feed back to the bees for winter stores).

I've read that this solution has had mixed success. Any opinions on this option?