Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With weather delays my nucs were 6 weeks late, but are finally here, arrived in the rain, so I waited till a gap, and around 3pm yesterday moved them into their permanent homes, as the breeder said they were very full and needed to be changed over ASAP.

Also took my second super off the big hive yesterday - 9 frames fully capped, so baited the empty super with the 10th one - which had one side still uncapped. I have already taken 4 frames off that hive. The top super still on there has 5 frames capped already, but the girls were testy with the weather , so I did not break the hive down further. I have under-supered with foundation on box 4, with the one partially capped frame in it too.

Oh yes, I have traditionally not used gloves but after two big swellings , I used those cheap Nitryl blue gloves and they worked wonders, felt a number of hits on my hands but not a single penetration. Happy day.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Very nice... I love seeing fresh wood new young hives all neatly lined up like that! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a question or two for ya' Zulu....

did you pick up those boxes or were they shipped and what's the deal with the blue tape?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tecumseh said:
a question or two for ya' Zulu....

did you pick up those boxes or were they shipped and what's the deal with the blue tape?
I picked them up about 40 min drive away

The tape idea is my way to ID the hives and for bees to see a difference.

The big hive has used up all my Wooden ware so I have had to get busy. The one un varnished hive will have to be swapped out as soon as I get another deep built and varnished.

I have used baggie feeders on all small hives today (refilled the swarm baggies) and making proper feeders at present - while still building extra supers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts