Nucs or new bee packages?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I can't believe it but not more than 15 miles from my farm is a place called "Harvey Honey". I knew it was there and thought they just sold honey. Well I went inside the warehouse to find a huge beekeeping equiptment operation and a fully stocked beekeepers store :shock:

I asked if they sold bees and they said they will have Italian nucs available at the end of this month. I just bring them 1 deep super per nuc desired and they fill it with the frames and bees, queen, etc. seal the entrances with mesh and take them to my location.

I had already reserved packaged bees for pick-up on May 7th but I can cancel for a full refund by April 22nd.

I like the idea of nucs because the queen is already accepted into the hive.

Nucs or packaged bees?

Ed

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

nucs will give you and the bees a head start since they are established.

Be sure to ask how many frames they are selling you so that you can take extras to fill the box if you are taking a 10 frame box. Most nucs are five frames, and can be either deeps or mediums.

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I feel nucs are better than packages because they are from your area and more in tune with local weather and flora. And the Queen and bees are already a working hive with brood in various stages. Have heard that 60% or more packages fail or abscond. Jim

4. rast

rast New Member

I would always go with the nucs, I doubt they are from your area this time of the year though. At least the queen and bees should be acclimated to each other a whole lot better than a package and should have a laying queen.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A nuc definitely has a large advantage over a package. Go for the nuc if it is a reasonable price. IE: not more than 125.00.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

both options have their positive and negative aspects. it is up to the individual to say when the positives out weight the negatives.

I sell nucs and help make up packages for someone else. nucs give you some head start on the season but there is something magical about installing your first package on new equipment and watching it grow up.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would take a good 5 frame nuc over a package on any givin day.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would have to say nucs as well. Less chance of a problem (installation) and a head start with brood rearing.

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Nucs it is! They are 5 frames of deeps (Italians like me lol) I reserved two of them for the end of the month!