Nucs with almost no foragers present at time of pick up

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by kemptville, May 12, 2013.

1. kemptville

kemptville New Member

I recently picked up two nucs from a breeder nearby, I picked these up around 11 a.m. What I failed to notice was that on the website it mentioned that to ensure foragers were in house when I came by to pick up the nucs to do so early in the morning or just before dark. When I arrived home and installed the nucs into regular sized equipment, I noticed the nuc should have contained a lot more bees (foragers). My mistake! :-(

Will the lack of foragers in my installed nucs pose an issue from here on out? What can I expect? Am I doomed?

I should mention the four frames in each nuc were covered in bees.

Marc

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Better than having all foragers that are about to die in 2 or 3 weeks; the younger bees you have will take on foraging duties pretty quick. I would imagine you will feed some for a while. It is not too warm there anyways.

3. kemptville

kemptville New Member

Thanks Frank! I'm relieved to hear this. It has been quite warm in my neck of the woods with the exception of the last few days and next couple of days going forward. Each of the nucs received 6 frames of a variety of capped honey, nectar and pollen frames from my deadouts which should provide them with all they need for the next little while. I'm going to ask for the sake of asking, should I also feed sugar syrup or will they have enough with the deadout resources?

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would still feed 1 to 1 syrup to promote comb building and a flow. That set them back just a little but should bounce back fairly quick.

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

I agree with G3farms. Feed them until they have at least a deep filled out.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

kemptville, if you have 4 frames from the nuc with brood in all stages and nurse bees covering the brood you should be alright. like g3 said, even with the stores you have, i would feed 1:1 syrup until they stop taking it. like g3 said it will help with comb building and also buildup.

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I just made up a nuc that is exactly like this. when making the nuc up mid day. the moving of frames only transferred house bees. For teh past two days there has been no activity at the entrance of this hive. this is all just fine becasue along with transferring the house bees I also transferred what they needed in the way of food. What i did not transfer I give them such as water and pollen patties. The forager situation will resolve itself over the next few days.

8. melrose

melrose New Member

The foragers left behind will come back, looking for their home. If the seller is close by, I'd drop off a box filled with drawn frames that they could enter. Then at night, seal it and bring it home, set it on top, let them migrate down or set it next to the front door so they can catch the queens scent.

9. kemptville

kemptville New Member

I suppose feeding them will not hurt them - thanks for the feedback. Good luck with your nuc Daniel :)