Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting a few bred queens, But Im not sure how many bees each queen would need in a small nuc to make it work. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats good to know. I thought it might be like starting with a package of bees. Did not think they would need the brood to start.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
As an experiment I did it with a frame of brood covered in bees and a frame of stores covered in bees and 3 frames of foundation. That was on March 20th. It is doing really well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most mini mating nucs are stocked with 8 oz. or about a coffee cup full of bees and have the spae equivilant of 1.5 medium frames, or often 1 medium frame and a small feeder. If you are planning on holding the queen for awhile I would look into something larger, possible 1 frame of brood and adhearing in a 5, 8, or 10 frame box with the rest being foundation; they will slowely grow into the box giving you extra resources and not forcing you to come in every week and remove frames to prevent swarming or overcrowding issues. It is basically what Eddy Honey said, it is also a great way to make late summer/fall splits to overwinter and have queens and increase hives for the following year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts