Number of brood frames

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Dakine, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Me hive.jpg I just got my frame order and I'm getting ready to attack the wild hive in my garage wall.
    I just made a bee vac and I'll be using it. The bees are sucked directly into a 9 5/8 10 frame box.
    I'm planning on taking some brood and put it in frames.
    .I may have a limited amount of brood in the old hive.
    I do want to close the old hive back up and let it rejuvenate so I can take more bees from it in the future so I need to leave brood in the old hive .
    How many frames should I fill with brood? Would 6 do it with the other four with foundation.Should I put a 5 11/16 box with 10 frames with foundation on top the brood box after I have the bees and brood in the 9 5/8 box?

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Your guiding thought as to how many bees to take out, should be: How many bees will be necessary to adequately take care of the brood you're leaving behind? If you remove too many, you might just as well have taken out the brood because they'll be abandoned and die anyway.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just be sure if you remove the queen you leave eggs in the wall so they can make a new queen, or if you leave the queen in the wall to get eggs in your hive box.

Will just have to kind of play it by ear until you actually get into the wall hive and see what is available. Just think of it as doing a split.