Numbering frames?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by elliottyellow, Jun 9, 2013.

1. elliottyellow

elliottyellow New Member

I was noticing that some beekeepers number frames. I understand the advantage because I have also forgot how far I have went in an inspection and probably re checked the same frame, but I was wondering what kind of marker to use? Would the smell of a regular marker offend bees? perhaps a queen marking pen? I am curious to hear if any of you mark frames, or if that person is bonkers and it is a NO NO!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Most people I know mark them when assembling them and it is well dried by the time they are put on hives. The markings I have seen were for ID, not numbering, but I would think it would be the same.

Numbering seems to me would be useless. Too often, frames are moved around or even to other hives.

3. elliottyellow

elliottyellow New Member

Great thanks, our colony was inherited and is already a fully functioning situation I shall not disturb their home with graffiti :thumbsup:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have used pencil, permanent marker and paint pen with no effects.

I mostly write on the honey supers if they are comb or wired, maybe a date of queen cells or the like.

5. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

I am with iddee...seems to me it would only be helpful the first time. Once you start switching things around, it would seem to be to be more of an annoyance. I don't know what is so difficult to know frame one is on one side, and frame ten is on the other... :dontknow:

6. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I've also heard of drawing on a big "X" corner to corner on top, just for the brood chamber frames. It helps (for a while) to get them back in the same orientation.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

elliot, i use permanent marker to indicate the year and month new frames were placed in my hives. when you remove frames, get into the habit of replacing them the same way they were in there, maybe this is why some mark and number them ?. marking frames with numbers will get confusing later on when moving frames around between nuc hives and divides, and for other reasons. in my honey supers, comb frames are marked 'comb honey', and the frames don't need a date because they are foundation-less. (i just need to know which ones are my comb honey frames).

8. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I mark mine with the year I install them and the type foundation that is in them. I use a Sharpie. I usually mark them when I build them; however, I have written on frames with a Sharpie while they are in the hive on several occasions and the bees don't seem to care.