OA and uncapped brood?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I am putting on my bee suit and going to play with my bees for a couple of hours this morning. I find they do not talk, they let me talk to them and they just buzz. Have to check on a queen or 2 and merge hives and get sticky boards under them to catch some mites.

If I have a significant mite count in 24 hours I will be doing OA I guess. But I also just split a hive and am trying to get numbers up for fall, I do not want to damage a queen or brood, traditionally a brood break and an open sbb is the mite killer that works best for me. I probably had a brood break between flow and starting feeding earlier this summer. So I will see what is out there. In a frame of drone brood from my largest hive I popped out most of the drones and found one mite, but it was only a medium frame too.

clouds are coming in, I may have to open the hives tomorrow, but maybe I can get stickies in.

2. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

How'd the mite check go?

Walt

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

in 48 hours, 2, 4 and 2, and one wax moth larva. But there is capped brood in hives 2 and 3, may be a higher count later on. Temps went up so I have left stickies out, will clean and reoil and put back probably this evening or tomorrow