Observation and Leaf hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by a.buaras, Aug 21, 2009.

1. a.buaras

a.buaras New Member

Hello to all members I’m a new beginner, my question is. What’s the different between Observation and Leaf hives? In case there’s a difference. What’s the advantage and disadvantage between both of them? :oops:

Thank you

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

An observation hive is normally a two or three frame stacked colony that is between panes of glass for instructional or educational uses.

A leaf hive is an old german style hive where the frames are accessed from the back of each box and slid straight out. It would be like pulling off the back wall of a standard hive and being able to slide out the frames by grabbing the end bar and pulling. Many liked working the hive from the back and accessing all the frames as the boxes sat on top of each other. I think comb attachment, weakening of the frames over time, and other factors made them obsolete as newer hives came along. Having straight comb was a concern as bees being smashed was a problem with wavy comb. (Imagine pulling out the comg lengthwise)

3. a.buaras

a.buaras New Member

thank you BjornBee

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

bjorn writes:
    A leaf hive is an old german style hive

tecumseh:
    huh... I had seen a video somewhere of one of those and never knew they were called leaf hives. thanks for that tidbit bjorn.

ps... I just construct a 'shoe box' style observation hives which hopefully in the not so distant future I will use for kindergarden presentations. since I am quite clueless about that age of children any tips on small thing bee related that might hold their attention?

5. Charles

Charles New Member

There was some good stuff on what to try with kids in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=739&p=2968