Observation hive complete

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Bens-Bees, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

So I finished my observation hive and dumped a fresh swarm in it Saturday morning just in time for an Earth-Day event where the beekeepers association had a booth set up. The one problem I ran into on this one is that the frames can't be removed and reinserted, so I had to start with nothing but foundation and let the bees draw it out. That of course means that this has to serve as a more permanent home for the bees than I had originally intended it to. No matter, I did leave one of the vent ports without screen so I can stop it up with a plastic bottle-cap when I want to shut them in and remove it to let them have an entrance... it's still small for a permanent hive, but it'll just have to work for now. Anyway, here's a pic:

Attached Files:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Ben:

Is that molding around the glass that is preventing the removal of the frames? Would it take much alteration to it to make the frames removeable?
    Man. I've had my ob. hive for almost 3 years and still don't have bees in it! :oops:

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yeah it's the way I notched out the wood to hold the glass and the frames. I should have cut straight through for the frame hangers, then cut down the outside sides to be flush the innermost frame hanger cut before cutting the groove for the glass. Instead I used a chisel to chisel out the notches for hanging the frames so the frame ends sit recessed beyond where the wood that holds in the glass is by about 3/8th's inch and in order to get them in or out I have to remove the screws holding the piece of wood just under the top, then pry the two sides apart which works ok for the top frame, but even then I had to angle in the bottom and finagle it to get it in. It was such a pain getting that bottom frame in that I think they've just gotta stay in.

They've already started drawing out the top frame, so hopefully they'll pull them all out and I can keep this swarm on just three frames, though that's going to be difficult for them... but once I make the window sill entrance I should at least be able to keep them fed and warm through the next winter... and of course I'll be able to keep a close eye on them.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Did you cut out something to cover over the glass to make it dark for them, it will work better.
    Cardboard or 1/4" plywood would work.

5. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Looks very nice. :clapping:

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

So I discovered a fatal flaw with my observation hive setup, well, another one anyway, apart from the brace comb mess the girls are creating that I'm going to have to clean up soon. I found that windows have a gap between the panes when they are opened enough to put an entrance through them. I was the second one to discover this, as the bees beat me to it and learned how they could defend their hive from that goofy looking guy that always looks at them from the inside... they just walk right up the outside of the window until they are inside. DOH!

By the way, I am hearby swearing you all to secrecy on this. Nobody is to tell my wife until I have a chance to plug that gap with some weatherstripping. Do you hear me?? NOT ONE WORD! My hide depends on it.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Ben,
    Live and learn--from the bees.
    Look at the full half of the cup---starting with foundation, you can observe the whole building process from the start. Get it repaired fast so your wife won't miss this. My mouth is glued shut--she won't hear about it from me. :lol:

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

Lol

Your wife tells me she already knows, but is giving you a pass on this one as she knows you feel bad already. :lol: