Observation hive recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by d.magnitude, Sep 9, 2012.

1. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I'm shopping around for a decent single-frame observation hive for our club to purchase, that we would make available for our members to fill and use.

We have an Ulster ob hive now (like this one that Brushy sells), but I realized that folks were just removing the top part and using that as a single-frame observation hive. That seems like a waste to me, so I filled the Ulster hive w/ a nuc, and am going to try to maintain it like that.

Still, some members would probably rather just borrow an empty portable hive that they could just temporarily put a frame or two in. Any suggestions on where to get a good simple one?

Thanks,
    -Dan

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi there Dan, I know you are not in Indiana and I am not sure this guy will ship. He sells unfinished for $25 and finished for $60. You might check your local Craigslist or Ebay to see if someone more local to you is making them.
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/3232594684.html

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I think he is probably thinking about something more along this line, and wouldn't it be great if it even had a built in hive top feeder, yea, yea, that would be great!
    Just wish I could think of where he might lay his hands on one of those :think:(if something like that even exists). :wink: :lol:

Sorry Dan! :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

4. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Did you make that Perry? Nice.

I am looking for something more like that. Preferably single-frame, quick to set up, and easily portable. Oh, and cheap.

It seems like I've seen someone manufactures something like that; I just can't seem to find it in any catalogs I've looked at.

-Dan

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Picked it up for $65. I only used it for displaying a nice, deep capped frame of honey at the farmers market. (keeps wasps and flies off of it).
    I am sure it would be easy to build (minus the feeder part, whoever built that must have had a lot of spare time).

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It depends what you want to achieve with the observation hive. if you want one the bees can live in for the spring summer and fall and have a tube thru the wall so they can have free flight you need to provide enough space so the bees can set up house in. A 4 frame high works well but you have to design it so you can get to the frames cause your going to have to pull full honey and every other brood frame quite often. If you are looking to put a frame in with the queen to take into schools, malls and fairs for a few days a frame display case with screened hols for ventilation will work.
    The beekeeper who who brings the observation hive to the display at the fair keeps his going all year and takes it to the farmers market as long as the temp isn't forcast to go above 30 Deg. C. It's 4 frames high has plywood panels to cover the glass so the bees can be in the dark when not on display. It spends most the time in his shop with free flight, when needed for display pulls it away from free flight hole and screws on feeder box so jar of syrup or water can be placed on the hive. It is one of the best observation hives I've seen.

7. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Thanks for the link Iddee. I think I just looked at that picture on the Kelley site, and didn't realize it's available as a single frame hive (w/o the "super"). The price fits the bill too.

I may see if the other officers are in for getting one for our local club. For something that we're just going to make available to members for a short-term loan, this is probably more what they're expecting.

-dan

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have a home made observation hive much like 'this one' from Brushy only it is made for medium frames and not deeps. this has a couple of advantages... 1) it has enough frames to require little attention and 2) due to the low profile it is quite stable.