Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a two frame observation hive that i want to use for a school presentation. If I take a frame of brood and another frame of honey with the queen, some drones and workers from a nuc, how long can i leave the queen in the observation hive before she will not be accepted back into her donor hive, or is best to just use the queen, brood, bees etc to start another hive after the presentation? The school I'll be going to is only about 10km from my house and I'd be setting up the observation hive the afternoon before the presentation so the donor bees and queen would only be out of their original hive for about 24 hours before I'd be able to put them back in.

I was thinking of spraying the donor hive and the frames taken out of the observation hive after the presentation with a mint/vanilla solution before recombining, a bit like introducing a new queen in a cage. I'm hoping that would work as I don't particularly want to loose the queen. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I've been a beekeeper for 40 years but I've never used an observation hive before. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd be interested to hear if you could advise.

Thanking all in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
I have not used an observation hive either. 24 hours, a syrup/mint/vanilla mist probably be ok. I wouldn't go over 24 hours or they might start making new queens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts