odd scent

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by powwowman, Aug 6, 2013.

1. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Noticed today an odd scent around a couple of my hives. Not altogether foul , But more like a sour sort of wax? smell???? Is this normal? The bees seem to be fine.:???:

2. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Don't know what flow is on in KY, but likely flow related. Does it resemble the smell of dirty socks?

3. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Thanks for the reply,....Dirty socks? yea maybe sort of, sour is the best word to describe it.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some people describe golden rod honey as smelling a bit like dirty socks. evidently flow from golden rod may be somewhat dependent on elevation with reports of substantial flows at higher elevation.

5. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Our goldenrod flow is late September into October and although the hives will smell like a locker room, the honey is very good indeed! One of my favorite honey types for my area.

​...JP

6. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Sounds like there is no need for worry.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am told there are several varieties of golden rod.... and you can make a pretty good bet that what holds for one does not apply to the other. I have had golden rod honey from certain parts of the country which was quite good and in other places where the strong smell persisted so long it was not at all pleasant to eat.

8. Lburou

Lburou Member

I'm new to North Central Texas and the old timers here feed honey with less desirable taste back to the bees when they need it. This is particularly true of broom weed honey in this area. Monitor the taste of your honey and act accordingly. HTH :)

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I think its a little early for the goldenrod bloom. Dont usually see this until late September. I would take a peek inside the hive to see whats going on. If all looks good I would say it is flow related.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

riverrat should get a piece of pie from Perry. beyond all the hand waving of my prior post riverrat's suggestion is the advice that should be followed. in regards to honeybees it is always better to know that to speculate.

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I've got goldenrod blooming here now, drought broke just enough to convince it it was time.

12. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Inevitably, every opinion through cyberspace is just that. How is anyone truly able to know what's going on in just about any colony unless they pop the top and do some investigative research. Yup, the Rat deserves a pie :lol:

...JP

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

A pie?....A pie?....As in a whole pie? :shock:
    Given the high cost of ingredients, maintenance of the BeekeepingForums.Com kitchen, plus the countless hours creating these culinary exquisities, a whole pie is saved for only those occasions where a slice simply won't do.
    I do agree however, that the Rat is most deserving of a slice of pie, for his advice is bang on. How can one act when one does not know what is going on (although that certainly never stopped me before) :oops: :lol:

For Rat!
    Maple Pecan
    maple pecan.jpg