Odd Swarms ??

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 21, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have collected 6 swarms sense the first of May, every swarm has been about the same size (3lbs) no bigger or smaller? I got into three of them to see how they were doing (the three i got the first week of May) and only found the queen in one of them and she was laying,the two that i didn't find the queen in ( i checked twice,different days) they were filling the drawn comb with nectar and drawing the four frames of foundation that i put in. No sign of eggs or brood but did see 3 or4 four bringing in pollen. I'm thinking that with all the rain we've had they may have a virgin queen (they would be hard to find) that never got bred :confused: . I found swarm cells in one of my strong hives and put a frame of brood with queen cells in each of them, just to see what happens.That was three days ago and we've had rain on them. Sunny and no rain today and until Wed. so i'll get another look. Maybe i'm pushing them to much but i thought they should be laying. Jack

P.S. I'm feeding them 1 to 1 syrup.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the first swarm had the old mated queen and those that followed virgin queens. if these virgin queens do successfully get mated???? you would need to add 14 to 16 days till you would reasonable see signs of laying.