off to Fort Campbell, KY

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Ill be heading up in a few days , my younger daughter is giving birth to our 3rd grand baby (her 2nd kid) and what I plan to do with the 3 hives that are questionable if they are queenless or not is Im putting metal window screen on top of the 2nd brood boxes then adding a box with a hole in the front and putting a 5 frame nuc in each of the 3 top boxes, the queens should keep the hives from going drone layer if there is no queen, and if there is a queen and she just has not started laying yet no harm done and she can start when ever, this plan at least will give me time to get back and do what ever I need to.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Zookeep you will need 2 screens separated by 1/4 inch cause if there is a queen in each half they will sting each other thru the screen. If you use inner covers with an entrance in the rim snd a feed jar hole, staple screen on each side and place on the hive so the rim entrance is up and to the back of the hive and place the nuc in a super over top.

3. Lburou

Lburou Member

I keep a pack of the pseudoqueen (QMP) in my freezer for a situation like that. I could mail you a couple if there is time. :)

4. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Congrats on the new grandbaby

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I hope all goes well with the birth. Remember to send us a picture of the new baBEE. Congrats to the parents and the grandparents. :grin:

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

had to laugh zookeep! grandbabies and bees......ya tell us about the grandbaby, and then yammer about bees!:lol:
    "my younger daughter is giving birth to our 3rd grand baby (her 2nd kid) and what I plan to do with the 3 hives that are questionable........" too funny!:lol:
    btw, CONGRATULATIONS! er, on the grandbaby!:grin: