Official Hive Inspection.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, May 17, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Today was the day.
    In Nova Scotia if you plan to sell bees, or transport them to PEI, they must be inspected prior to move or sale.
    Well today was my turn. One of the part time bee inspectors visited me and we went through some of the nucs I had made up for sale, and also visited 2 of my yards and went through a few hives he randomly inspected. For the most part, everything went perfectly.
    All hives appeared to be in excellent health. :thumbsup:

The sour note?
    In 2 of the 5 nucs we went through we found capped queen cells and no signs of the queens that had been released a week ago. :sad:
    This is the drawback to selling nucs with offshore queens (which everyone wants because they can be bought earlier), the acceptance rate is not always good. Those queens were purchased from Hawaii at $30 a piece. :doh:I always recommend local queens but it is not always what people are willing to wait for. I take the hit when they don't get accepted.
    The second shipment of queens I got from Hawaii are from a different producer, I am hoping they are more readily accepted. :beg:

But, I think I made another friend in the inspector, and my hives are in good health, so all in all it was a good day! :mrgreen:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sorry to hear those bought queens did not make it, what a shame.

On the up side sounds like you have made a new friend in the inspector which can be a great asset in the future.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Question, Perry? Queen cells cap on day 8 or 9. If you put the queens in 7 days ago, it sounds like they had already decided to raise their own queen.

Do you make up your nucs ahead of introducing the queen?

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

What is PEI?

It never hurts to be on good terms with the inspector. A network of contacts can be a valuable commodity. I'm sure you're happy you have healthy hives!

Sorry to hear about your queens. I'm sure you'll get things headed in the right direction soon.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nucs were made up on the morning of the 8th, and queens introduced that night, 6 to 8 hours later.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If it makes you feel better Perry, i've had 3 nucs supersede queens out of 15? Jack

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm not a queen breeder, but it is my understanding that a hive starts queen cells 2 to 3 hours after becoming queenless. I have always killed the queen and placed the caged one in at the same time when requeening. It has worked well. I have never made up nucs and added purchased queens, but I would think it would be the same.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Iddee, I am beginning to think the way you do. When I first started keeping the recommendation at that time was to leave a nuc queenless for 24 hrs to make them "desperate" and more willing to accept their savior.
    I have now taken to introducing queens 6 to 8 hours after making nucs up for just the reason you mentioned. Perhaps even that is too long?
    I will find out in the next couple of days how the bulk of the queens (second batch from a different supplier) have fared.

Greg, PEI is short for Prince Edward Island, the smallest Canadian province and one of Nova Scotia's neighbours. :grin:

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Thanks! Sorry if my knowledge of Canadian geography is not 100%. (I should watch Jeopardy more often!)

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Is there any particular reason why you chose to buy queens from Hawaii and not from other, closer suppliers (like in the southern USA)?

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

These queens are part of a large (bulk) purchase by the Nova Scotia Beekeepers Association. Usually there is only a choice between Australian and Hawaiian queens.
    I was not until recently aware that anything at all were allowed to be brought in from the states. I believe a nearby friend (commercial keep) has mentioned that some access is possible for southern queens but there are many hurdles to clear, not something viable for small orders.

Greg. Don't apologize, there are plenty of things most Canadians don't know about our own country, :rotfl:like, did you know we are the second largest country in the world (area wise) and that Alex Trebek is Canadian, and that your country and ours has the world's longest undefended border? :thumbsup:

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Correction---it's heavily defended---by friendship, the best defence one could hope for. Trust me, I know.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I do carry a queen breeder licenses here in Texas and I will tell you flat out with almost no hesitation that 'what Iddee said' is just how I consider thing when adding a mated queen to a nuc. for me the few times the queen doesn't (2 of 25 on my last attempt) take were when it appears there was already a cell started in the nuc when I made it up. generally it only takes ones and at very early stages wild cells can be very difficult to spot.

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you and Iddee both recommend it, that's all it will take! :thumbsup:
    I will introduce queens as soon as I make up nucs in the future and will report of my experiences.