oh shoot - I have to make fondant!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Gonna be warm enough to put it in Thursday and then winter gets here. Anyone else feeding winter bees?

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

I have been for a month now for it has been so warm and the bees active they have ate up their winter stores I left for them, was hoping not to have too, what I get for hoping.

‚ÄčKen

3. camero7

camero7 Member

I have sugar blocks on all my nucs. Production hives seem to have enough honey to make the winter. I'll check in a month.

4. Gypsi

well mine have been out and flying and I've only open fed a little and tossed last year's sugar blocks on, now we have winter coming on monday, and it is post solstice so I will make a batch of fondant with pollen sub

5. camero7

camero7 Member

That's the difference between TX and MA, too early for pollen sub up here. Worst of winter yet to come.

6. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I was Mountain Camp feeding on about a third of my hives that I was a little worried about. Gee, I hadn't really thought about the others using more stores from being more active (dooh) :oops:.

I'll start light syrup in town at the end of the month, and St. Paddy's day on the mountain.

7. Gypsi

My bees told me they wanted open fed pollen sub when they started hitting the chicken feed about Dec 22nd. It wasn't pollen but it was powdery. I put out pollen sub the night before nice days and they cleaned up half a cup at a time. Got home from work just in time to get fondant on today. I do not know that they are low on stores but they probably are, and 2 out of 3 hives are all up in the top box, which usually means the bottom is empty It was too late in the day to open them up and check the bottom box, I just put fondant on under the inside cover and closed them up