OHIO Newb to beekeeping

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Levi Binegar, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Levi Binegar

Levi Binegar New Member

hey guys! my name is Levi. my girlfriends dad is thinking about keep bees. I have been interested for several years in beekeeping but havent had space to do it, but would like to get involved with him in keeping bees. the local associations classes are full, so here we are. i guess we will be self taught. basically... being that we are totally green to this... outside of buying a bee kit online and reading some library books... we would love any suggestions you guys would provide! thanks! were looking forward to learning and having fun with this hobby!

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

WELCOME, WELCOME and WELCOME......!....:lol:
    hi levi! feel free to post away and ask questions, this is a great place to "put your feet up" and hang out!

[​IMG]!!!!

3. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

welcome, this is a great place to learn!

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum. You have found a great place to learn about bees:thumbsup:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Let me add my voice to those saying Welcome!
    You have found a great spot to learn. Read everything you can find here, ask plenty of questions, use the search function, maybe searching using words like "beginning", etc.
    We be only too glad to help you begin your journey.

(PS - start with at least 2 hives) :wink:

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welaome Levi to the forum, glad you joined us, you can learn a lot here, know I have.

kebee

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

First, forget buying a bee kit. You won't get all you need and will get stuff you don't need.

Buy a complete hive, an extra super, a smoker, a hive tool and the protective wear you are comfortable with. IE: A veil, or a hooded jacket, or a complete suit. Get a good pair of ""flexible" gloves. Then buy more as you learn and need.

Hang out here, read a lot, use the search function, and ask a lot of questions. It'll all come together in a short time.

8. Levi Binegar

Levi Binegar New Member

Firstly, thanks for the warm welcomes! We are excited to jump into this and see what happens. First couple questions I have are... how many hives do we start with? is one okay or is it better to start with two? as well, there is a local supplier not far from where todd (my girlfriends dad lives) and he sells "kits"... what do you guys think of these kits and prices?

http://hiveandhoney.com/images/conrad_starter_kit-prices2013.pdf

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Welcome Levi and father in law Class is now in session. Like the previous posters have stated ask questions about what you are finding in the hives, and also what you should be expecting to find when you are about to enter into the hive. We on the forum will guild you thru your first years of beekeeping. look up bee clubs in your area. the locals are a great source of knowledge on keeping bees in your area, seasons, timing. Have fun.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Not bad pricing, and Kelley equip. is top of the line. Those kits are much more sensible than most I have seen. I do think kit B might have a mis-quoted price, tho. 3000.00 is a bit steep. :D

11. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Don't worry about the association classes being full. You will learn more here than you will in a class. At least I have, anyway.

12. Levi Binegar

Levi Binegar New Member

awesome. who would you guys recommend buying bees from this time of year? the local supplier is out i guess. but i think we can still get a kit. should we start with one or 2?

def 300. haha.

13. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I'll say before every every one ease 2 In Langstroth hives.

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Levi! I echo what Iddee said about equipment, read and dig in here.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Howdy Levi... got cousin's in Columbus and of course my ohio based web name and suspect (well actually kind of know) you are in a good place to keep bees.

you might wish to check out the following web address www.kenstoncommunityed.org <the american bee journal says they have a bee school scheduled for April 18 (don't know where Geauga County might be????).

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'm late with my welcome but still glad to learn of your joining the forum. So now you're already the owner of a bee hive. Congrats.
    You are doing the right thing planning right away to build up to two hives. You'll see how imortant it is to have at least two, as you gain experience.
    A lot of what you do now depends on the weather. Don't stress them too much with maniplations when it's cold.
    Good luck to you.