Ok before I go to far, have you heard this one before: I met a gal on the internet...

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by reidi_tim, May 19, 2013.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

So a post on craigs list about beekeeping and looking for bees lands me with a call from a gal who picked up her 1st swarm while in college. She took them home in a cardboard box and talked her dad into taking care of them. So jump ahead 5 years for her and she calls me and ask about taking bees from a tree that is going to be cut down. She has tried to keep bees but had issues with neighbors. She has a co-worker that is interested in bee keeping and has offered to lend a hand. I asked her if she would be interested in helping me with the cut outs I have this spring and in return I would help her friend get a hive or 2 going. So I met up with her today and she helped with a cut out from a garage, and she also found another colony in the walls of the garage: will go after that one later. Put my version of a bee vac in use today grr..vstill need to do some fine tuning on it. Got 8 solid frames of brood and give or take a gallon of honey.

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Sounds like things are bee-rific up there! :)

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Sounds like a winning situation all the way around. Free bees and a new beekeeping friend or two. Get them here on the forum. :thumbsup:

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Meeting that gal on the internet turned out OK. Good luck in your joint venture.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hiya Tim, we need to get back to skyping or something again. We have that Evansville bond too!

I have made some good contacts from CL too.

6. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Ok so was not sure about if I got the Queen so I let them settle in for a day. Had the entrance reduce to 3/8 when I looked at the hive tonight it looked like the nuc beside it was robbing. I suited up and to my dismay that was the case. eish go figure. I put together a hodge podge way to join the colonies. Put the queen right nuc in a 8 frame from a 5 frame and put it under the 8 frame cut out seperated by the paper that foundation is seperated by. Hope this will be able to join the bees and the brood from the cut out to make a strong double deep. Any thoughts? I was in panic mode when I realized what was going on so let me know if I earned another t-shirt :(