ok fast question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Zookeep, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

should I plan on 2 or 3 med honey supers per 2 deep brood box hive? gotta make sure Im ready before the flow starts.

2. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

Have a least two ready, you can always extract a few to put back on. I never have enough. If I build three per hive, I end up using them for more bees.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I just finished 22 more boxes and ordering another 10 meds and 10 deeps with frames to put together.

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Ain't that the truth! Something always seems to happen, a swarm, a great flow, etc.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

In a heavy extended flow the bees will use more cells leaving them open while storing and ripening the nectar. if not enough area is avalible they will use the brood boxes.some years one is enough other years three deeps and the bees could use more. I would plan on three. remember bees gather store ripen and move honey to fill the cells then cap. even if they don't store honey that is caped doesn't mean the space was not used and needed.

7. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Zookeep: Don't know what your set up is, I am fortunate enough to have my hives in my yard, so it's easy to give the girls more attention for me. Instead of planning 'I will add 2 supers'....I let the bees tell me when they are ready. I check pretty much weekly on their progress, trying to avoid overwhelming them with more space than they can cover at the time. Don't overlook the flow time for splits, either! We had the wettest summer in history in our area, though I know you experienced drought. (crazy when it's just a couple hundred miles apart!) I also use a staggered harvest since I can't handle the weight of the supers alone. Just food for thought...there are more solutions than just to add more space. I wish you a super flow!!! Mango and clover is in full swing here now...Strawberries any day....so it is headed your way! :grin: