OK,, that was just crazy

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, today I figured I would start my queen clipping with the hive at my house, its L1 from the longboat key cutout, so I opened it up and started pulling frames to find her, 3rd frame I pulled and the queen just jumps off it right at me, sticks right to the screen in front of my face, she is buzzing away and wanting a piece of me :lol: then she just flew and sat on the inner cover I had on the ground right next to me, then right into the queen clip she went, then into my house and into a big plastic bag with my hands in it for the clipping (taking no chances) and back to the hive she went, what a crazy afternoon :dontknow:

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

the queen actually tried to sting you through the veil???? or merely landed there--still quite unusual behavior--not a running queen ( flying is a quite unusual )

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

she just flew to the veil and circled 2 or 3 times on it right in front of my eyes just like a guard bee and then walked to the side of the veil and flew down to the inner cover buzzing the hole time.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Our state apiarist told us that if the queen does fly out not to panic and be still, she will orient to you and usually come back home.