old comb. tar like feeling

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, May 27, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

i bought a hive last season and the age of the comb is unknown! it looks black and real hard to touch! i have never seen bees on it. that hive has 2 deep brood boxes and the lower box has the comb that i am talking about! all the bees are in the upper deep .
    should i destroy that comb and install new frames with foundation?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Remove the comb. The frames could be re used if in good shape.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The more the combs are used for brood rearing, the darker and harder they become. This is due to the accumulation of exuviae that the developing larvae leave behind them, pushed against the walls of the combs. As the walls get thicker, the cells themselves become smaller and at some point they are no longer acceptable to the queen for laying her eggs. Follow Iddees recommendations.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have also found that those really old combs aren't good for much wax wise either. I have tried to melt that stuff in a solar wax melter and got little wax and a lot of junk, not really worth the effort.

5. adamant

adamant Member

Thank you. I have new plastic un drowned comb I will replace with!

6. adamant

adamant Member

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

looks like duraglit foundation I would toss it out it cant be scrapped and reused

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Question river, why can't you scrape duragilt foundation? Is it different than other wax coated plastic foundation? Up here most use "Permadent" wax coated foundation if you're not using beeswax foundation.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

duraglit has a smooth plastic inner core with wax cells rolled out over the plastic. Once the wax is gone and the plastic is exposed they will not build comb on the bare area. Look at the pics of the frames you will see areas where no wax is drawn and there is a clear plastic showing

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a good bit of drone comb but the comb and frame doesn't look that bad to me. I would likely use this frame in the outer most position in the bottom box and hope it got properly used to store honey and pollen.