Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a hive last season and the age of the comb is unknown! it looks black and real hard to touch! i have never seen bees on it. that hive has 2 deep brood boxes and the lower box has the comb that i am talking about! all the bees are in the upper deep .
should i destroy that comb and install new frames with foundation?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
The more the combs are used for brood rearing, the darker and harder they become. This is due to the accumulation of exuviae that the developing larvae leave behind them, pushed against the walls of the combs. As the walls get thicker, the cells themselves become smaller and at some point they are no longer acceptable to the queen for laying her eggs. Follow Iddees recommendations.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have also found that those really old combs aren't good for much wax wise either. I have tried to melt that stuff in a solar wax melter and got little wax and a lot of junk, not really worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
looks like duraglit foundation I would toss it out it cant be scrapped and reused

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
looks like duraglit foundation I would toss it out it cant be scrapped and reused
Question river, why can't you scrape duragilt foundation? Is it different than other wax coated plastic foundation? Up here most use "Permadent" wax coated foundation if you're not using beeswax foundation.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
duraglit has a smooth plastic inner core with wax cells rolled out over the plastic. Once the wax is gone and the plastic is exposed they will not build comb on the bare area. Look at the pics of the frames you will see areas where no wax is drawn and there is a clear plastic showing

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a good bit of drone comb but the comb and frame doesn't look that bad to me. I would likely use this frame in the outer most position in the bottom box and hope it got properly used to store honey and pollen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts