Beekeeping Forums banner

Old Dairy Bldg cutout

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  G3farms 
#1 · (Edited)
Old Dairy Bldg cutout "now with video"

Got a call from a guy today about a cutout. Went and looked at what he had and when I say old I mean OLD dairy farm. The main part of the bldg is brick but it has an exterior sunroom looking thing on the side. Half of this part has already fallen down. The part where the bees is, is still up. I could not tell exactly where the hive is but it looks like they are either in the wall or soffit area. Here is a pic of the structure.

From the looks of it, with my unexperienced eye, it should be fairly easy. The bldg is supposed to be torn down and remodeled anyway. So i do not have to worry about messing the walls up or anything.

Here is where the entrance is.

There is propolis all down the inner left hand side of the white plank board that runs up and down. I put my hand all along this board and the soffit and couldn't tell any temperature difference. There was a storm that rolled in quickly while I was there so I couldn't really stay and assess the hive as much as i would've like to. He did say that there was a big cloud of bees that stayed on the outside of the wall today and finally went it. I am thinking this was a deadout and a swarm just moved in.

What do you all experienced ones think about this one? I did end up telling him that I would do this one for free. He said his dad:eek:ldtimer: wouldn't pay anything to remove it but would just pour gas on them and let it all burn.:roll: I didn't want to see them killed, need the bees, and wanted the experience so I guess I'll see if it is worth it.

James

See less See more
#2 ·
Sometimes experience is it's own reward. A good way to try doing a cut-out without having to worry too much about resulting damage. If you really want the bees I would go for it. :thumbsup:
(Just don't spread the word, or everyone will be calling you cause "he'll do it for free"). :wink:

#6 ·
I'd do it for free - don't have to fix the house. But before you get started, I think a doorway height 2x4 with another 2x4 - maybe 4 ft long, in a T, securely mounted to the upright, might be a good brace and a good idea. Getting knocked out by falling boards and surrounded by ticked off bees doesn't sound like much fun.

Good luck!
Gypsi

#7 ·
James,

Good luck with this as I am sure it WILL be a learning experience. I have had several old beeks tell me everyone needs to do at least ONE cut out for the experience. Well, I did mine last fall. Having gone on several swarm calls and never been stung I thought I'd give the cut out a try. After 56 stings I learned the following - bees DO NOT like anyone removing them, their brood, and their honey from their established home (between house walls). I learned to wear boots over the ankles or duct tape the heck out of my shoes/ankles because the bees really fixated on my ankles (I could not wear shoes for 2 days after) Don't know how but a couple of them buggers managed to get inside my veil and nail my eyelid and forhead. I also did not bring enough hives or boxes to put the enormous amount of brood comb and honey comb. I had brought 4 and that was not enough. This cut out was 85 miles away and was a "cold" call where I did not get to evaluate the site beforehand.

I have watched the Youtube videos where beeks do cut outs and never get a sting. I hope your experience is like that - NO stings.:smile:

#8 ·
Thank you all. I got the call from the homeowner today. I was waiting to get authorization from him to make sure that it ok to do the removal and do whatever is necessary to remove the bees. I'll take video and make sure I have fresh batts for the removal. I'll post on here when the editing is done. Wish me luck.

James

#12 ·
do i get to help!?!?! do i get to help!?!?! please, please, please!!!

i got a bee vac we can use if ya wanna!!

:rolling::rolling:

give me a call if ya want some help playing in the stinging bugs there bee buddy!!
Absolutely, if you want to. I told him I would try to be there before noon tomorrow. I was gonna call you to take you up on the offer of the beevac. I would love to have the help. I don't know if you are available tomorrow or not? Hope so. I will give you a call in a bit. (phone is dead and charging now)

#15 ·
I'm getting old here waiting for pics and video....:eek:ldtimer:
Haha. They homeowner didnt answer the phone this am. I told him i would call before i came but he never answered. Its ok though, i really wanted G3 to be able to help me out and he wasnt going to be able to today so i was gonna see if i could reschedule. Will update as soon as i can.

#18 ·
Will look for the queen in a few days.

Thanks for the bees James!!

This is the most fun I have had doing a cut, still laughing, got tears in my eyes from laughing. :rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling: Never give the gals the finger!!

Can't wait to do the next one.

#20 ·
That was a great video! :thumbsup:

I kinda figured I knew what happened with that "sudden break", glad to see Jim left it in there! :lol:
Just goes to show ya folks, you might get used to 'em after a while, but they still hurt! :shock: :lol:
Wish I coulda been there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.