Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
OK, I looked and nadir appears to mean bottom supering, so opposite of that means top supering. I can't figure out how to fit a lang box on one of these mini nucs to draw them up and out. I am probably missing something really obvious. :???:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sorry iddee..... You were too quick for me.

I was going to post a link to the Thorne's catalogue. Unfortunately, although they show an eke in their digital catalogue its a flat pack and not as helpful as the printed version.

An eke is a hive sized frame which goes above a hive body. Basically 4 sides. A nadir is the same but goes below the hive body.

VERY SORRY FOR THE PROBLEMS

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just 3 letters ---- E K E. I did not imagine the caffufull it would cause. Experienced UK beekeepers use the word with familiarity. Ekes are nothing fancy. There is none of the accurate sizing or lug rebates you would find in a super. At simplest, they are 4 pieces of wood making a rim.

My shallowest ekes are 1.5 inches deep and used to surround the trays of Apiguard

,http://www.thorne.co.uk/health-and-feeding/varroa/thymol-based

The eke I made for my polystyrene nuc was just 4 pieces of wood, butt jointed, sized to prevent rain getting into the nuc, and fitted between the body and the roof. In the space created, I placed a crude inner cover and a small contact feeder.

I have other depth ekes for use on my normal hives. I hope this clarifies. .:roll:

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
LOL :lol:
That is what makes things interesting, the differences amounst us and yet the commonalities! :thumbsup:
Barbarian, how are you going to transfer the mini nuc frames to your standard equipment? How will these ekes help with the transition?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Polystyrene Nuc

The nuc I bought is not a mini-nuc or a Mini Plus Nuc. It will hold upto 6 standard National brood brood frames. I should be able to transfer frames between the nuc and a normal hive without problem. .:roll:

Perry's dilema ---- I came across a beekeeper who had several Langstroth hives. He wanted to use them to produce a National nuc(s). He assembled some National brood frames with foundation. Each of these frames was fastened inside an empty Langstroth frame. These combi-frames were then placed in the Langstroth hives. At a suitable time, the combi-frames were removed and the drawn/laid National frames removed to make the nuc. I hope this all makes sense. .:smile:

Maybe Perry could do something similar ---- but backwards.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts