Old Drawn Brood Frames

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by Rick54, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Rick54

Rick54 Member

My sons and I are making up 10 swarm traps to put out this spring. I understand one of the necessary components is an old drawn brood frame, of which I have none! So I'm looking to purchase 10 frames of old drawn brood frames to enable me to put one frame in each trap. You can either PM me here or contact me at [email protected]. Thank you!

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Rick what state are you in?

3. Rick54

Rick54 Member

Rockford, Michigan 49341

4. Gypsi

I have some but the postage would be exhorbitant and I don't know if legal to mail across state lines. Best you find a local beekeeping organization and try to get some from them.

5. Rick54

Rick54 Member

Well I don't know about crossing state lines. After all, don't people haul nucs and hives across state lines all the time? I know I'll be picking up my nucs in May that originated from out of state. I don't have an idea as to postage.

6. Gypsi

they have permits to move bees across state lines and those bees are supposed to be inspected (doesn't always happen). American Foul Brood and European Foul Brood can be in old brood comb.

as a consequence, NEVER use a wild deadout as a comb source for your swarm trap. I did. It had EFB. I learned to treat EFB but it cost me 4 hives before I knew I had it in the apiary. Would be better NOT to have comb, than to risk infected comb. I'll check on whether it is legal to ship

7. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

when I set out my swam traps I use new frames and lemon grass oil as an attractant..as stated above old used frames can have disease unless you know where they came from..

Gypsi likes this.