Old German School Videos on Beekeeping

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ibeelearning, Oct 26, 2014.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Some of you may have already seen these, but I just stumbled on them. The Institute that produced them no longer exists, but you can search the videos out. It is amazing what a slightly different cultural lens can do! Maybe I'm just easily entertained... or maybe I've watched way too much Fat Bee Man :wink: (sorry fineshooter:lol:)

Here is the one on "bee rotation."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px3agh67_xI

I am fascinated by the European bee boxes, of course. But the little things like turning the packages on their sides for mite counts, the straw in the syrup to prevent drowning, the automatic combining of newer stock with older stock for the winter, that drone pulling thing she does... the list goes on. I don't like that plastic foil stuff, though.

2. camero7

camero7 Member

Some great ideas there. I incorporated a couple into my operation.

3. bee stung

bee stung New Member

what I wonder about is how they can have plastic sheets on the top of the frames and not have moisture condense and drip on the cluster ??? I don't know about any one else but I have had it condense on my inner cover and kill my hive

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I know a canadian beekeeper who uses plastic sheets as an inner cover on his nucs. Doesn't seem to have any problems. Not sure how harsh the winters are there. Here I would be nervous to use them, but I don't have those nice styro boxes. Might be a big difference.