Old hive deep

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Mar 1, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

A gentleman gave me an outer cover and a deep that had nasty frames and a mouse nest that was inside. They box and lid had been sitting outside for 9 years. We dumped it out and I brought it home. After scraping the insides out and repainting it looks good. Except the inside looks old. After the paint set I brought it inside to finish curing. Just now walked in the room to see a wax moth larva crawling on the outside of the box. All that is in the spare room are newly made deeps, bottom boards, etc. Nothing from last year. Do they burrow in the wood? There are small holes in the inside. I thought they just made cocoons. What should I do?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Whenever I come across any wooden ware whose origin is unknown, I turf the frames (too risky) and scorch the insides of any boxes worth using. Singe them real well with a propane torch to kill anyything that might be in or on the wood. Then lightly sand off the "soot" and they are good to go.

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I bought ancient wooden ware from an crusty old guy last year that I am convinced had moths that helped tip my hives into decline... yes, as I've stated elsewhere, I know now there were several other factors. But, I am convinced hobo traveling moths on used wood is a nasty reality. Yes, I think they burrow... or at least get so far into seams that the effect is the same.

I never thought of bringing woodenware inside to warm them up and see if they were infected. My long suffering spouse would surely be delighted!

What Perry said sounds really, really good. AGHHH. FIRE! I bagged my boxes and covers with paramoth over the winter, but getting out the torch before my new bees get here sounds like a great idea as well. I would pitch the frames... I know I should be able to freeze them and be ok, but I also know I will not trust them and want to jerk them out every few days to inspect, causing way too much disturbance.

One of my learnings is that it isn't worth the risk to me with only a couple years under my belt to try to recover someone's old wooden ware. It looks so cool, and should have good bee mojo; but the standard frames never quite fit, and the potential trauma of repeating last year's disaster will even cause a cheapskate like me to write a check for new stuff. The fewer variables I have for killing bees, the better.

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Can you stick it in the freezer for 3 or 4 days?

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

There was no way I would have tried to salvage the frames. As for the box I will roast the insides a toasty brown. As for the freezer they have been outside in the elements. It's been in the teens. You would have thought that would have done it but now will try 600-800 degree and see if that does the trick.

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

did you have any foundation in the new gear at all? even the plastic foundation has a fine coat of wax and the moths will find a way in the house cause they can smell it, I had 10 sheets of wax in a box in the closet in the center of the house and the moths still found it.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Actually, the scorching of boxes goes back a long ways, and it was mostly used as a preventative against AFB, whose spores have been found to be viable for decades in wooden ware.

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

All my frames and foundation is in the shed in totes with lids. Some are in deeps but are stacked with lids sealed. All I have in the house is new deeps, new bottom boards, new telescoping covers, new all season inners and 1 old deep. After I torched and wired brushed I found burrows in the wood. I dug deep to solid wood. Torched again and filled with epoxy wood filler.