Old Hive, New Package

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mlou, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Mlou

Mlou New Member

Although I've had a hive for more than 7 years, I've been lucky that I've never lost the hive...until now. During a mild winter, too boot.

So my question is, there are built out frames and some honey in the hive. Aside from the obvious clean up of the victims, what else do I need to do to prepare for installing the new package? Thanks all. mlou

2. Ray

Ray Member

Many, many differing opinions on that topic.
    IMO: If there is no sign of foul brood.
    I'd do a quick- dump out the dead and call it good. The new package will clean the place up.
    If the comb is really dark and full of dead bees. I might think of replacing a few combs with new foundation.

3. camero7

camero7 Member

I spray the frames with acetic acid. repels and kills wax moth and is reputed to kill nosema. I have do like Ray with no adverse effects but I like to be safe.

4. Mlou

Mlou New Member

Thanks for the info. I was in the hive today and cleaned it up a bit, replacing some of the frames that are dark and full of dead brood. It appears that the colony died of starvation. There are quite a few frames in the two deeps that have honey. So my question now is how do I arrange the frames for the new package. Do I start out with just one deep and then add the second later? Which one should have the most honey frames in it or should I balance them between the two. Thanks! I appreciate the help.

5. Ray

Ray Member

It takes heat to raise brood and make wax. I would start the package in a single box and add the other later. If you have some frames with pollen, I would place them near the center. Honey to the outside of the box and enough empty cells for the queen to lay in. If you have an empty frame of drawn comb, I would place it in the center.
    ​Good Luck