Old queen cell question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jul 25, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I posted about 10 days ago that I went into my hive and was promptly attacked. I found a queen cell in the upper brood box before the bees drove me out. I went in today and the whole demeanor of the colony has changed, they were very docile and have been drawing comb in the super I put on 3 weeks ago. I found the empty queen cell so I am guessing they are queenright now, even though I didn't see her. I am wondering if the bees are tearing down the queen cell as it looks like they have been chewing on it. I have no way of knowing if the queen emerged properly or was killed by another new queen that I didn't see...the bees drove me off before I could get through 5 frames. Do they take down the used cells?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If it was opened by removing the end, she emerged. If they tore the side out, she was killed. Either way, they will remove them all once she is settled.

3. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

If they drove you off before you could get through 5 frames, I wouldn't call those bees docile.

If you have any doubt whether a hive is queenright, adding a frame of eggs/young brood is never a bad idea. If they need it, they can make a queen. If they don't, at least you're safe; and you gave the population a little boost by giving them the extra brood.

4. letitbee

letitbee New Member

They drove me off 10 days ago when apparently they were queenless. Today they were normal. I put on all my riot gear for nothing! :lol:

5. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

When you went back in the second time were there any eggs or larvae? If not go back and check again in a week to see. That will tell you if you are still queenless or not.