Old queen

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Eddy Honey, May 22, 2013.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

How long do queens live?

This one is 4 years old and heads up my obsevation hive. Her wings are frayed but yet she keeps on going...cell to cell..laying eggs

Are longevity genetics something that is sought after in a queen?

an old queen.jpg

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Back in the 60's i had queens that were still doing a good job at 5 yrs. of age. One of the first queen i bought comes to mind (a Midnight breed) very hard workers and very gentle until they supersede ( in my case with the German black bee).Somewhere we have lost the hardiness of our queens, i'm guessing through trying to breed for the perfect queen. JMHO. Jack

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Back in the 60's

Brooks, I was just a twinkle in my parent's eye....had we landed on the moon yet?
    :grin:

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

This was i think in 1965, not made it to the moon yet,:smile: but you might have been made on a moon lit night.:lol: Jack

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Possibly, I am sure it was dark...but I believe it was prom and a blue Plymouth was involved....true story....:wink: And, the whole time I type this, Sting's, "walking on the moon," is playing in my mind, ha!

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Just so long as there wasn't an "old queen" involved.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If she's "just" working in an observation hive, she could have a few more years left of productivity. I've read that queens can even last six years.
    Take good care of her.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think I have read that the record is 7 years 2 months. Don't ask where I read it. That was too many years ago.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    Are longevity genetics something that is sought after in a queen?

tecumseh...
    well my guess (which really ain't so much a guess... details at 6 and below) is that the answer to your question is not just a little bit but a lot.

as far as I know (can't say I am privy to all the detail) the essence of BWeaver stock is longevity.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Perhaps longevity becomes important when it's combined with an absence of the inclination to swarm. Those that swarm during their second year aren't around for you to benefit from their longevity---and they've taken part of your hive with them.