old time beekeeping sticky

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Jul 13, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I started a sticky thread at the top of the general beekeeping to discuss and share our knowlege of the old ways of beekeeping that may or may not have fallen to the wayside over the years. Post pics questions or general discussion on the subject. If there is enough interest we may break it off into its own forum topic. It will be interesting to discuss the old guys that fathered modern beekeeping and help us old keeps as well as new learn a general understanding why we do a lot of things we do today in beekeeping. Who knows it might start some experimenting and we may discover we have the next Huber, Von Frisch, Langstroth, Dadant or Root to name a few among us right here on the forum.

DA Rat

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Old bee keeper I knew took burlap and made sacks that fit inside a medium super. He filled the sacks full of cedar chips to asorb moisture duringthe winter. He said he placed them on the bees in mid Oct and removed then first part of April.

:mrgreen: Al

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Riverrat, excellent idea. :)

4. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

dont forget Miller. Just finished his book 50 years among the Bees. I do not think that I would keep my bees in the basement over the winter.