Olivarez Queens

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Marbees, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Marbees

Marbees Member

Ordered 30 queens for early splits from Olivarez, northern California. 15 Italians and 15 NWC.
    Anyone ever tried his queens? Any NWC experience? Thanks.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

so you can get those shipped into Canada?

I did try a few new world carnis from a small queen rearing outfit in Ohio several years ago and I found them to be pretty much like your standard itialian although they clustered in somewhat smaller populations during the winter. the lady who developed/select this breed should be given a large pat on the back for a job well done. I have heard people say they swarm excessively but I did not find that to be the case. not always but most of the time I don't like to buy queens from anyone who raise multiple breeds... all of which pretty much look the same.... if you know what I mean?

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

yes tec, these are imported by http://www.earlyqueenarrivals.com/
    My understanding is that Olivarez is getting his NWC breeder queens from Susan Cobey, Ohio.
    After reading an excellent review about Olivarez queens from Manitoba beekeeper I decided to order mine.
    We will see...

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I am guessing it is for Ontario only? No such luck here, the only way to get early queens is through Hawaii or Australia, and you have to be a member of the Provincial Association to do so.

5. Ray

Ray Member

FWIW: I have two hives, started from packages that came from Olivares. They are supposed to be NWC. Started with 3lb packages in April and wound up with 3 deeps by August. They are not hot, but they aren't babies either, they are 'no loitering':lol: honey bees. Stand around the hives for a while, and one of the girls will send you on your way.

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

Got to be a registered beekeeper. That's all. I'm not an OBA member.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

In BC Imports are aloud from California and Chile as well. Once they make it into Canada they will travel east and west with little resistance. copied from government web site.

Importing Queens and Packaged Bees

Canadian beekeepers can import queens and packaged bees from several approved sources. All bee imports into Canada require a federal Import Permit. Please be aware that the status of honey bee sources can change as diseases may be introduced.
    Approved sources include:

• Queens - New Zealand, Australia, Chile, California and Hawaii
    • Packages - New Zealand, Australia, and Chile
    Import Permits must be applied for and can be obtained from: