Omie's bee year 2013

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Omie, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

Ok, here's to starting the new year, right after Valentine's day.

Today was sunny and 45F degrees, really nice out and bees were flying.

This winter I lost two of my four hives so far, so I was very nervously awaiting a warm day to see how my last two hives were doing.
    I was very happy to see both remaining hives flying nicely today, here is a video taken today. The two hives are looking ok, but still a ways from Spring. Soon I'll be plugging the entrances to the two dead hives, so that their honey doesn't get robbed out.

[video=youtube;x4OKo7a7x8I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4OKo7a7x8I[/video]

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Omie, great video of your hives. I had 65 degrees here today, and my bees were out flying like your were enjoying the nice heat and bring in pollan from some where.

kebee

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Kebee, that's great. :)
    No pollen yet here, being still mid February in New York. I bet my bees were taking bathroom breaks and finding some nice mineral/micro-nutrient-laced mucky water, though! I bet they were also raiding all the bird feeders in the neighborhood for grain powder, otherwise known as "Poor Girl's Pollen".... :lol:
    It's a hard knock life over here at Wayward Girl...
    child labor girls.jpg

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow omie, thanks for the video, wonderful to see the bees flying in early spring like that! what is the 'stuff' near the top entrances of 2 of your hives?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: Been waiting on this thread.

6. jb63

jb63 New Member

What Iddee said.:grin:

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Me too! :thumbsup:

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Hey thanks yous guys. :)

Lest some of you think me completely cold-hearted, I ask you to please observe the black insulating electrical tape I always lay across the threshold of my mouse guards...this is to keep the girls' poor little tootsies from freezing on the cold metal when they tiptoe in and out the door during the winter. :razz:

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Hmm...the 'stuff'- you mean the reddish fluff sticking out of the top entrances?
    That's wads of steel wool. I find it works very well for quickly reducing entrances, I jam it in a wad with my hive tool, adjust the width by scrunching it. The bees don't chew it away like they might if I used wadded paper towels. Then I just pull it out when i want to open things up more. It gets rusty red pretty quickly. Very cheap by the bag at the hardware store. Of course you mustn't use the kind with dish soap in it!- only plain. =8-o

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

yes, thanks omie! i was thinking it was 'wads of steel wool'....:lol: wasn't sure. it does work well for plugging material....bees don't chew it and neither do mice!

11. Ray

Ray Member

She grows a little garden in the backyard, by the fence
    She consuming what she's growing, nowadays in selfdefence
    She gets out there in the twilight zone, sometimes,
    when it just don't make no sense :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry that tune has been going thru my head ever since this thread started.

I have no idea, how this post got on this thread! It was supposed to be on the one about beekeeping as a religion!:roll:
    Sorry about that:eek:

12. Omie

Omie New Member

Sounds pretty good Ray! dancing cat_2.gif

13. rail

rail New Member

Omie,

Do you reverse hive chambers in the spring?

14. Omie

Omie New Member

I'm still figuring out whether I want to do that or not. I used to think it was very important to reverse, now i think it might be over rated. First year i did. Second and third year I just waited until drones were flying and did some splits, so it didn't really matter. I was moving boxes around anyway.
    This year, having lost 2 of 4 hives and needing to do some early aggressive splitting to build back up again, I'll be moving boxes of both hives around a lot as soon as drones are emerging. So no point in my reversing deeps right before doing that.

15. jb63

jb63 New Member

This is a good topic Rail.
    The last few yrs. I've been checker boarding aka the Walt Wright articles and I think I gave them too much space.They eventually catch up but we don't have shb yet.I've recently read about ladders on the bottom rails of the frames that I didn't know about, so I learned something new.I just wish I had learned about it _before_ I scraped all my dead outs.I'm going to try reversing this yr.My plan is to use a three ft. Christmas tree trimming knife to cut between the boxes so the ladders stay intact.

[​IMG]

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Good to see your thread back Omie:thumbsup:, Something is out of order here, you have 45 F weather in NY. and i woke up to 27 F and 2" of snow:shock:.How can that be? i'm way south of you.:roll: Jack

17. Omie

Omie New Member

It's cold again now, Brooks.

18. Omie

Omie New Member

Or you could slip a wire between the boxes, with two looped handles, and pull it through between the boxes. That's an old cheese monger's method of cutting big wheels of cheese.

19. jb63

jb63 New Member

Thx. Omie I like your wire technique better.I also like the cat.Mine just lay around and catch spiders.
    [​IMG]

20. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm not so sure about using a knife or anything to cut and seperate hive boxes where you can't see what your doing.Could lose a good queen. Just MHO. Jack