On the light side

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Nov 17, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Went out to check bees after all the tornadoes went through! It was still warm, 62. Hives were ok but noticed that one hive had bees take flight and go into the one next to it with no problem. Never seen them leave. Are they robbing? Thought I would check weight. Both are light. This week the high will be low 50's. I have been feeding these 2 hives with syrup but read 50 degrees is too cold for them to take heavy syrup. Should I get candy boards on them? Whats better, candy boards or fondant?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Most beeks say it is best to take your losses in the fall. If both hives are light, I would consider combining and letting them go through the winter and split in the spring.

I can't help on the candy/fondant question.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

crazy,
    hard to answer your question without some details, like iddee, i would be inclined to combine. if you have two light hives, and bees from one hive are going to the other unchallenged, they might just be looking for better 'digs'. light hives are hard to sustain, especially if they are weak in numbers, and not just stores. if so, nothing will sustain them, and they will die out.

as far as the feeding, i wouldn't be so concerned about the temp of 50 degrees for them to take down the syrup...... i would be more concerned about the moisture later feeding of syrup could create in a hive. if i had to feed a hive past syrup feeding, and i am right now, (late swarm hive that's been kicking my butt) i would choose and prefer a fondant or a winter patty set right on top the frames for my area. why? bees are clustered, they need feed set right on top and across the frames right over their cluster.....the feed is right over and above them, a candy board has a barrier.

my weather and climate is different than yours, so maybe a candyboard would work for you at this point, but if the hives are really light and they are weak hives, nothing will sustain them crazy, so as iddee said, you might consider combining two weak hives to one and feed a fondant or a winter patty directly on top the frames.

you can also use a dry sugar method......oh i don't want to post that for all the replies, but it does work to feed bees.......:grin:....:lol:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

two excellent response.

dry sugar is really EMERGENCY feed and should only be used to sustain a hive in some extreme situation. I would suggest that either fondant or candy boards are you logical options given you location.

5. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Is it a good practice to simply place fondant on the top bar of a frames or frames? (curious mind thing)

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

it is good practice lazy, but place the fondant on wax paper, and then place it on top the frames. i prefer to use fondant this way over a candy board. actually, i started using the winter patties sold by different bee suppliers, rather than fondant.

7. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I found a place here in town to buy fondant. 50 lb. for $48. :shock: I didn't have wax paper so I used parchment paper. Seems to be closely the same. Weighed out 1 pound flattened and added a tablespoon of MegaBee. Now waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before I add to the hive. Been in the 20's! Ouch!

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

crazy, parchment paper works! adding a tablespoon of megabee.....:thumbsup:
    been in the 20's?
    yeah here too, and add 20 below zero to that.........:grin: