on to the next

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I have 4 nine inch brood boxes and 20 frames coming on thursday, 2 for the comb and 2 for the shopvac, soon as I get everything together Ill do the longboat cut out, I hope for friday.

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Ok, everythings together and painted, Ill post pics and how it goes in the morning after I get back

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

the cut-out went perfect, found the queen on the 5th comb and she is now hanging in the box in a queen clip. the floor they were in was 18inch high TJI floor joists and the comb was from the top to the bottom, sorry for no pics in the field yet I left my field camera in the garage where the cut-out was Ill get it soon. just 1 shot of the bees put in there new home with my crap home camera.

Attached Files:

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Heres the pics :yahoo:

Attached Files:

5. rast

rast New Member

Good job. Nice when they are easy and queen found.
    I usually use an excluder between the bottom board and hive body and release her same day when I catch her like you did.

6. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

zookeep, dumb question, If you do not find the queen, do you just dump them all in?
    Reason that I asked, the four swarms that I have caught, I tried to get all the bees in a box and wait and see if the rest came in. Usually a good indicator that the queen is there.
    I'm just curious why you isolated the queen when they all came from the same hive?
    Robert

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

sometimes the queen does not like the new home and they all swarm away, this way they all get used to it being home, plus I plan to clip her wings.

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

And this is the last of this operation, love the real gold color to it

Attached Files:

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:coolphotos: Great job.
    Zook---That last shot got me to drooling. It looks so delicious. :D

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I let the queen (L1) loose on Sunday, opened up the hive today and saw her just moving along droppen eggs like crazy, she didnt miss a beat when I was holding the frame out of the hive, the odd thing is, the 3 feral hives are much more calm then the all American or the Buckfast hive is, I opened L1 30min before dark and only had 1 worker buzzing me and I didnt use any smoke.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

some people just have that magic touch--and good luck :thumbsup: